*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Shadow on my Mind'

djpretzel

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: Hypergrip

email address: hypergrip@gmx.de

userid (number, not name) on our forums: don't have one (yet?)

ReMix Info:

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Final Fantasy 6

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Shadow's Theme

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

I started playing around with some new software I got a while ago. I couldn't come up with a nice melody myself so i started remixing one of my favorite tracks from FF6. The mix is faster than the original 80 -> 130 bpm.

I decided to not use to many effects (filters und stuff) and keep the arrangment rather simple to match the original a bit in that way.

If you need any more information, feel free to contact me.

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff6.rsn - "Shadow" (ff6-111.spc)

Certainly not bad for a first sub. Samples here are pretty thin and weak. They're definitely lacking fullness and N-R-G and all that jazz. The synth bassline in the intro is bleh, the synths and percussion coming in at :33 are plain/bland. Not a bad section there until 1:03 minimalizing the theme.

But yeah, things picked up the most at 1:18, but the groove is pretty lukewarm, and the arrangement is pretty much going the straight electronica genre adaptation route, which is playing it really simple and safe at the expense of engaging my interest.

Though the e-piano sample at 2:17 was a little bit robotically performed, it was a nice contrast here with the rest of the piece and a much needed switchup. Piano and techno combines decently at 2:46. Not a bad idea to go solo with the piano for the finish at 3:45.

You've got at least some potential, even though right now you're stuff sounds really bland and unenergetic. Use the ReMixing & Works forums to your growth and to your advanatge though.

NO

Another Shadow remix eh? Good to see this piece getting some attention.

Sound quality is all right as far as I can tell. The problem here seems to be a lack of creativity. Straight away the theme comes in and plays note for note, even if it is over a synthrock-style groove and bassline.

The synths used in the background sound like they're relying on reverb to sound thick and strong, they probably need to be sharper or crunchier to have a good backing sound. That's probably an area that zircon would be able to help you with more than I could. The lead synth also sounds very basic and bland. A proper high lead could be used there rather than the bland jabby synth. Play around with filters and such to get some cool effects on your synths.

The piece stays at this rather low and basic level right up until 2:17. The synths in the background still sound basic and bland. The piano introduced is a nice idea, but it's still played basically without taking any risks.

Not bad in terms of quality. It's put together rather well, but it's just a bland mix that doesn't take any risks. The theme plays the same basis of the melody over and over without jumping into any unique rearrangement ideas. You have the basic idea of mixing down, now it's time to get risky and try some creatively daring arrangements.

Still, congrats on having the best Shadow remix that I've heard so far.

NO

not bad, the two problems that stick out for me are

1. oversimplified chord progression. after the second phrase of the melody, you switch back to the first chord instead of going to the third. sounds lame.

2. simple arrangement. follows the melody rather predictably, the rhythm section is incredibly repetitive. particularly the bassline and that retriggered saw pad.

NO

Hmm.. yeah, definitely not bad for someone new to this. I agree with Vig that things are a little oversimplified for the most part. Usually you want to BUILD on the original rather than take away from it, in terms of its harmony and progression. Making things more simplistic *can* work but only if you have some very cool production stuff going on, or perhaps soloing or something of that nature. Unfortunately, you don't have anything like that here. However, you definitely have the right idea with the arrangement; keep moving in that direction, doing rhythmic and melodic variations, switching up percussion and harmony stuff, and you'll be good to go.

The production overall is a bit on the weak side but a lot better than other stuff I've heard. The encoding is on the low side for one thing, which detracts from it. You'll also want to have more variation in your synths and a little more attention paid to your mixing/mastering. For example the groove sort of gets muddied up in the rest of the mix, and it sounds like it should have more presence. I suggest hitting the ReMixing forum on this very site, reading some of my tutorials, and reading other stickied topics to get some production help.

Keep it up.

NO