*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Surreality'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name: meccaneer

Your real name: TJ Ryan

Your email address:

Your website: http://www.facebook.com/TheMeccaneer

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 2452

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy 6

Name of arrangement: Surreality

Name of individual song(s) arranged: New Continent

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Nobuo Uematsu

• 4 weeks later...

My first impression is that there should be another layer in the percussive textures, like some reverse cymbals or tambourine. The sounds are super cool, and there is a lot of badassery swagger, but they could use more excitement, and the percussion is what needs it. Some drum fills into the different sections would really be welcome too.

The arrangement ideas are pretty sweet here, with lots of texture changes, with elements remaining the same to give it a cohesive whole feeling. Overall I think it's above the bar, but some additional percussive attention to transitions and light layering would really kick up your style. Nice work!

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of really sweet ideas going on here, especially for a pretty ugly (no offense to Uematsu intended) source. There are a couple things that I think are holding this back, however. I feel like some of the parts of the source aren't fitting very well into your chord structure here, and it feels a bit out of place overall. As Andrew mentioned, there does feel like there's something missing. Aside from maybe adding some percussion parts that are more interesting, I'd like something between the melody piano and the bass, which is mostly the only two melodic instruments I'm really hearing (and the occassional synth). There's a lot of open space that feels too empty. The second half is definitely better in terms of filling out with more synths, but it's still very empty feeling.

I think there's a ton of promise here, but I'd like some tweaking to get the parts to fit better and to have a bit more filled in. I might be the only one on this side of things, but I wish you the best of luck on the rest of the vote.

NO (Resubmit)

This was a cool concept. I liked all the different percussion parts you had going on. Also gotta agree with Deia that this is not one of my favorites from the soundtrack, but your take is quite melodic, which was a nice surprise.

The arrangement isn't without its faults though. The piano is very compressed. In a song where it's a minor element, I could see that being ok, but it's too prominent here and that detracted. Some of the transitions are really dissonant, like the part near the end that changed keys. I also think the song could use maybe one more element like Deia mentioned.

Close but I don't think it's solid enough for the front page yet.

NO (resubmit)

I'm not particularly sold on this one as a whole. There's some solid ideas that work well with the source, but overall, I feel like this is underdeveloped and too sparse. There just needs to be more going on... some sort of harmony/countermelody, and DEFINITELY some more percussive effects are in order to help flesh this one out.

In addition, Vinne brought up an excellent point about the piano that was probably the first thing I noticed about the mix. The sample sounds pretty low-quality and overcompressed. Since it's taking center stage as the main lead element for most of the song, you'll need to iron out your mixing treatment on the piano or switch it out for a higher-quality sample.

There's some attitude to this track that I really like, it's a cool take on the source tune but there's some critical elements that aren't clicking for me. Keep at it!

NO (resub)

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna agree that this doesn't sound developed far enough. There are some good added elements and interesting textures. Melodic treatment is pretty straightforward from the original for a lot of the track, so there's room for interpretation there too.

In general, the track sounded too highly compressed to me on the busier parts.

As far as the piano lead, it may be a subjective stance, I'd personally argue for a edgier synth or something that fits the style rather than heavy reverbed piano.

Don't get me wrong, you've got a really good base here with the beats and synth textures, but it needs some more development.

No, resubmit please