OCR02705 - *YES* Sonic Colors 'Go into the Light'

Palpable

Remixer name: Rexy (real name: Beverley Wooff)

OCRemix user ID: 7528

Remix info:-

Remix title: "Go Into the Light"

Game covered: Sonic Colors (though it also goes through a few other Sonic games as well)

Song covered: Planet Wisp (main source), Emerald Hill Zone 2P (Sonic 2), Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1)... and so many bit-piece cameos :P

---

Okay, here I am trying another shot at the panel. And it's something that is pretty dear to me on a compositional front too.

So, as you may have noticed, I was an active contributor towards OCRemix's Sonic Zone competition. It was a fun ride going through the whole thing, though of all tracks that I managed to work on for it, I consider this one to be my proudest one even though it wasn't part of an actual match-up. At this moment in time, I was going through an emotional conflict, and saw the chance to express my feelings through fusing my choice throughout the whole compo - the Emerald Hill 2P stage music from Sonic 2 - with Brandon Strader's choice of Planet Wisp. And I find it strangely coincidental that we both went on to be eliminated at the same stage.

I am pretty much envisioning this interpretation from two different sides here. On a gaming front, the Wisps must've been really desperate and lonely when trapped in Eggman's cages throughout Sonic Colors, clinging on to any faith they have left or any significant lack thereof. It would get particularly heightened the closer they are to becoming Nega-Wisps, their hearts blackened by the fact that no one was answering their pleas. So it'll be by no surprise that when being freed, they would show the full force of their emotions by merging within Sonic's body and pulling off their respective power. Apply that to their entire home planet, at this point being a giant construction site of doom, and you could probably see how emotionally disturbed the Wisps must've been.

On a real life front, it's seen with a similar premise - we all have times when we just feel as if we've collided with a brick wall and have nowhere to go, have taken a step in the wrong direction in regards to character growth, or otherwise have been knocked down mentally/physically to the point that we ourselves no longer feel any self-faith. Though, much unlike the Wisps, the physical barrier doesn't exist, though your peers are more than welcome to help you break out of this sudden negativity. They may not be there for you straightaway, but by keeping the faith you become a stronger person as a whole.

In spite of a more subdued direction, I still managed to keep the similar humorous spirit as I did when I was still in the compo. For those not in the know, a series of remarks from Brandon Strader, Sir Nuts and Zerothemaster eventually categorized the Sonic and Robotnik brackets into two different oddly-nicknamed sides - the 'Lizards' and the 'Pancakes'. Being with the Lizards, I took the chance for every single one of my entries to include a Gex quote. This one is no different (in addition to using the meme-worthy 'copyright law' line for characteristic irony), and the resulting statement of 'what we need is color' was used JUST when the track's pace was starting to turn around. A hint of light in the darkness, or so we see.

I wanted to keep the quotes in for artistic direction, though in the event that it comes back as a Conditional for those clips, I'll see what can be done.

On all fronts, I hope this will get considered. This writeup may have been more on a psychological front rather than in regards to the technical processes, but all the better to see the amount of heartfelt detail into it. Thank you all :)

Peace out,

-Rexy-

(Memo to self: never write a blurb at 3 in the morning. Otherwise, you'll yield some very interesting results o_O)

• 3 weeks later...

I like the arrangement overall. It runs a bit on the longer side, but there's clear development, and the flow of the track is quite good. The combination between the themes is also very good, although I wasn't particularly hearing the Green Hills (I'm not super super familiar with Sonic music, so you might have used a section I'm not used to). Even with the arrangement being a bit more subdued, I think this is a good break-out for you in terms of style. You took a couple risks in terms of some of the background sections and I think they worked out well.

You're definitely still improving in terms of production as well. I thought the soundscape worked pretty well together, although I felt the bell wsynth was a bit on the loud side compared to the rest of the instruments. Another nitpick would be that some parts still feel a bit mechanical, although you've improved on that front as well.

I like this, it's very chill, nice work.

YES

I love the delicate intro, though the vocal sample broke the mood for me a little. There's something about Jaleel White (or a Jaleel White imitator) that I can't take seriously. Once it broke into the main section, the mood was smooth and chill. I wouldn't have minded some more oomph to the groove, and the snare that comes in later is a bit exposed, but I think you took other skills to a huge leap in level here. Sequencing and writing (including automation) was fantastic, I love the slow build. The instrument set was varied but quite complementary. You should be really proud of this one.

YES

This was really gelling for me on a lot of levels, and felt really polished as a cohesive effort. I gotta agree with Vinnie that the vocal sample wasn't really needed, but it's treated soundwise correctly in context of the song. I really enjoyed the more spread out arrangement, that wasn't in a rush to cram all it's ideas into the smallest space possible, and while that Is the right call. I'd like a touch more tone on the bass, but otherwise the sounds were really nice and breezy. I think this is a pretty easy pas, nice work!

Yes