Indie Game: The Hegg (Demo out on Jan. 30th!)

EDIT: Demo out on January 30th at zoltanmetal.com/gamedev/

That's right! I have decided to enter the world of video game development. I've been working tirelessly with RPG Maker VX Ace for the past 6 or 7 weeks and I'm nearly finished! Info and screenshots are available on my website.

http://zoltanmetal.com/gamedev/

The idea of this game is that there are 32 rooms in a tower and getting out of each one is a puzzle or a riddle. It's a very difficult game and I am currently in the Q&A stage and taking steps to make it as understandable as possible while maintaining difficulty. It will feature an all original soundtrack. If you like difficult puzzles, you will like this game.

I'm so excited!

• 3 weeks later...

Whew. I've been hard at work on The Hegg. It's coming together quite nicely. Since I last posted I've done the following.

-Tweaked every puzzle

-Added checkpoints to reduce replayed portions upon death

-Added no less than 300 textboxes of hints and/or flavor text

-Redesigned the final room to accomodate the sweet endgame I've got in mind.

-Begun adding in story scenes between the chapters.

-Recruited awesome OCRemixers for music.

I think I'll be able to release a demo VERY soon. Yay! It's gonna be SWEET!

Nice idea, and the soundtrack was nice (although I think it might've gotten old after a while...). The thing is, I didn't have much time to play it but I got to level 5 before being forced to quit. I got to the gross pillar, was forced to look down, and the game crashed trying to load some kind of 'shock' sound. Then I got back, noticed that I had to start a new game and kinda gave up. (edit: I was complaining about the fire puzzle here but then I realized by computer is complete ass so it probably wasn't as slow on a normal machine).

(Also is there supposed to be a hissing sound in the left speaker when the dash key was held? Sometimes this happened and sometimes it didn't)

I'll be sure to give it another shot and avoid the pillar, though. I'm confident that there's more clever stuff hiding in this game, and the fact that I want to try again (eventually) does seem to be a good sign! Sorry that I didn't write this post before actually playing more but, uh, caught in the moment? Also I want to know if anyone else had the same problem I did...

edit 2: Um so for level 5 are you supposed to push the boulder all the way to the left, push off the nearby box and then push off the boulder? Because when I push the boulder it just makes the sound like it's trying to be moved but it's trapped, and also you can't push off it. Or am I doing it wrong.

Thanks a LOT for letting me know. I'll fix that crash TODAY and update the link. I believe others will indeed have that problem because I know what you are talking about. Like I said. I'll fix it right away.

Without being able to look at the level right this minute, I believe pushing it all the way to the left will mean that above the boulder is air, right? If it is, then yeah, that wouldn't work. You're not allowed to throw the boulder off the edge.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think what still needs to happen with the music is after all songs are finished they need to be mastered along with all of the sound effects so that they all kind of gel.

Alright, finished it. No problems with the pillar! I guess there wasn't too much more left to do haha.

Not a bad demo, although I hope the next levels are a bit more interesting. These first 6 were alright as an intro but I'd really like to see puzzles that get really crazy and make you think. I feel like there might be a BIT too much hand holding at the moment as well (all the books that spell out the clock puzzle incredibly clearly, the death text describing the fire puzzle with no room for misinterpretation, etc). If you're going for 'very difficult', I'm not seeing it at all. I understand how difficulty curves work though so I'm hoping, trusting that the game gains legs for the other 26 levels.

The flavor and death texts are nice touches though, and while I wish you could steer away from the cheap-feeling RPG Maker look I think you utilize what you're given pretty well. Bottom line, I am sort of curious to see how the full version of this plays out... so mission accomplished.

My two cents.

(also the dash button making a hissing noise is just my computer being a dumbass again, herp).