Link:

My Info-

Remixer Name: Slothboy (as on forums)

Email Address: zacpatterson@gmail.com

Userid (on forums):

Remix Info-

Name of game Remixed: Final Fantasy 8

Song: Man With Machine Gun

Comments: One of my most nostalgically favourite songs from Final Fantasy 8 has to be 'Man With Machine Gun', which I always used to call the 'Laguna Battle Theme' when I was younger. The melodies and chordal progressions in this song are quite simple, but they work and I felt it would be an interesting experience to interpret this song through various electronic styles.

Thanks,

Slothboy

--

- Zac Patterson.

"veritas vos liberabit."

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 119 "The Man With the Machine Gun"

The dance kick used here had no beef, and the overall texture was too subdued for the energy you were obviously trying to create. The atmosphere was dull and slightly lo-fi.

Synth design and breakbeat style were both pretty plain, though I did like the melody being doubled with that chiptune sound (albeit briefly). Chorus right at 1:25 almost sounded out of key; probably wasn't, but just weird. Seemed to fix itself when it repeated.

Relatively uncreative/conservative arrangement, as the source melody isn't really manipulated very much, only given a genre adaptation. Doesn't do enough to distinguish it from the style of the original. You gotta be more. Use the ReMixing & Works forums here in order to do that.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

The kick is straight away drowning the lows with the punching sound. A sharper kick would work there. I'm not sure what the hissing sound is ever half-beat, but it sounds awful, probably white-noise percussion? Either way, scrap that shit and get a proper hi-hat set. The snare is bad too, the percussion in general is just bad. You need better samples, and you need to master them so they have more clarity.

Apart from that, the bass of this mix is pretty much non-existent, there's nothing driving the key of the mix along with the lead synths. Production is the biggest issue here. The lead synth sounds all right, but the one playing the arpeggio chords just sounds dry and basic, how about some effects?

The section from 2:35 is a perfect example where the percussion is drowning the mix out. It's clipping the track too.

You can take this one back to the drawing board if you want, but I wouldn't say it's worth it. The dance-style and arrangement is pretty much the same as the original.

NO