*NO* Chrono Cross 'Diggable Valley'

djpretzel

email sub file Drowning Valley.mp3

Warmly greeted, OCR

My name is Aric Lamb, known as Pwnicus on your forums, userID 35844, and the attached song is a remix of "Drowning Valley" from the Square game Chrono Cross. I have a myspace website, www.myspace.com/pwnicus, where you can sample some of my other music. I used Reason 3.0 for this drum and bass song. The mix is rather straightforward, "in ya face" drum and bass with all the melodies from the song sped up and chopped a bit. I had a bit of fun figuring out how to go from 90-something bps to 170+. I hope you enjoy the drumplay as much as I did making it.

Pwnicus of Team Paul Peru

Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 111 "Drowning Valley"

This is very, very far from "in ya face". These stock breakbeats are incredibly sterile, and all of the synths and samples in play sound default-y. The piano sounds the best, but that's to be expected as it (arguably, I suppose) has a reasonably nice sound to it as is.

In any case, the texture here was terrible, the sounds lack energy and drive, and the arrangement was weak. The section at 2:15 left me shaking my head. All a shame, as the drum & bass approach here was interesting given the source tune, just poorly executed the entire way through.

Well, get yo' read on 'n shit at the ReMixing forum to learn more on how to work with Reason and beef up your work, and use the Works forum here for more feedback before you choose to submit something again. Right now, this is entirely too beginner-ish.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I do like the way you've programmed the beats in. They just sound a little dull for the style of Drum and Bass, I'd give them a crunchier sound, and bring in some crunchier percussive-hats to give it that exciteable sound. The biggest downfall is that for a "Drum and Bass" mix, there's no "bass". Where's the crunchy fast-paced bassline for us to enjoy?

The xylophone thing leading the background sounds good in context, but like the beats it's produced poorly, sound very thin and clippy to me. Maybe tone it down a little and draw out the sound with a sharp delay? Have to experiment with that one. Reminds me of a bonus stage music from Crash Bandicoot.

The stuff in the background (like the filtered synths) sound all right, but perhaps a little whiney, I'd go for a less abrupt sound and just keep searching for something that really makes you go "I like that." That's what D&B is all about really. The arrangement in this is pretty much on level for what I'd expect in this style, you might want to work on making the piano less repetative though, it's just the overall sound that's letting it down.

Overall I like the direction of the piece, but for Drum and Bass you really need to push harder on getting that "in ya face" sound, as you so aptly put it. Like Larry said, head to the ReMixing forums and see if someone can help you out with that sound. If you do manage to get it, I'd love to hear this one resubmitted.

NO

• 3 weeks later...