OCR02805 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Sinfonía del Sabio'

DragonAvenger

The brass sounded out of place with the other instrumentation, but it's not a huge deal for me. I hated the fake drums, but I'm always nitpicky about drumtone. I've heard that sample too many times, and while it's not bad, it can sound pretty out of place amongst other live instrumentation or more realistic samples.

For the most part, this follows the source's structure pretty closely, but this is nonetheless a pretty personalized and expressive cover that stands apart from the source nicely. The more improvosational-style section on top of the source backing from 2:20-3:18 was definitely needed to show off some original writing ideas and present some new material, though again, I thought the instrumental changes and performance flourishes helped the cover section go in the right interpretive direction.

Solid work!

YES

Loved the performances on this, and I think the drums sound good, tonewise.

Great performances really take this over the top for me, and pretty solid mixing makes sure that all the good stuff can be heard.

The arrangement structure is conservative, but the different elements handed out to various instruments gives the piece it's own flavor, and the solo section in the middle was really well-executed. All the instrumentalists are very talented, and play well together. This is a really nice song.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with larry about the trombone in the intro. Doesn't fit well, though it's cool later on. Mixing is great, performances are great.

This is a great example of an arrangement that stays pretty close to the original in terms of structure and form, but adds plenty of personality with careful arrangement and musical performances.

Great track.

YES

Absolutely gorgeous. I've been a huge fan of this one ever since I heard it on your Soundcloud.

This arrangement definitely has the feel of a cover song, but the expressive live performances and occasional breakdown/deviation from the original keep it lively. The flute solos, particularly, fit fantastically into the arrangement and keep the Stickerbush Symphony vibe going while injecting some much-needed personalization into the song. The backing performances on the guitars, too, are lush and emotive.

For the record, I too thought the drums sounded fine.

You're definitely one of the most talented up-and-comers on the site, please keep sending more stuff like this to us :-D

YES