OCR02810 - *YES* Mass Effect 'Full Paragon'

Palpable

ReMixer name: Psycho Crusher

Userid: 47622

Name of game arranged: Mass Effect

Name of arrangement: Full Paragon

Name of individual song: Uncharted Worlds

Ahh... the galaxy map music, present in all 3 Mass Effect games. Its recurrent melody always got stuck in my head, so it was only natural for me to make an arrangement of it. It's a heavily layered piece, and I also took a lot of liberties with it. Basically, the rhythmic section after the main melody is a whole new riff which I thought fit pretty well with the rest. I hope you like it!

I hope you like it!

Greetings from Chile!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpu5cTk_qvI

Edited by djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...

The appeal of the original is largely about vibe, moreso than the writing in my opinion.

Your remix takes a more raw rock approach, which is good, because it would be hard to out-vibe the original.

I think the mix leaves a lot to be desired. The guitars are too dry for the most part, and the drums don't have enough body.

The arrangement however, is really solid. Great energy and dynamics.

Ultimately that's how it breaks down. Great arrangement, but it sounds like a rough mix. Need to give it to a mixer.

NO

• 1 month later...

Open sounded pretty sweet, albeit a bit distant. When the guitar came in at :31, you could hear how the mixing wasn't that strong. Vig's dead on. I felt like the elements mudded together as things got the most intense, for example 1:20-2:24. Quieter sections like the intro and 2:24 obviously don't sound as problematic by comparison, but it feels like some high-end is lost and some really cool details of the writing don't have a chance to be heard as well as they should be.

I'd say the mixing COULD definitely use another pass to improve it. I like to mention it every so often, but djpretzel's Revenge of Shinobi 'Consent (Make Me Dance)' makes a great control track for me to compare a clean but full sounding mix with something else I'm listening to see whether or not it's EQed and mixed as well.

But really, when the arrangement and performances are otherwise this strong and well-executed, I can look beyond the production flaws. Ultimately, they weren't a deal-breaker. I think Cristián will look back on this one, if not now then later, and definitely not be satisfied with the mixing. It IS rough, but it would need to be worse for me to turn this down. What's here still gets way more right than it does wrong thanks to a great arrangement and serviceable-on-the-edge-of-problematic mixing. It's got my vote.

YES (borderline)

• 1 month later...

I'm going to disagree with Vig here: mixing isn't always about 'beating' or even 'matching' the vibe of the original. That being said, I think the original DOES have a great vibe, and I like how Cristián borrowed some of that vibe and molded it differently. The arrangement is pretty fun to listen to, and I think pretty engaging throughout. There are definitely some production flaws, and things that Cristián will be able to improve on, but I agree with Larry that they aren't bringing the track below the bar, and this will be a great addition to the site as-is.

If it comes down to a resub, I won't be sad at some improvements, though!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

There's lots of little things I would improve here, but it's hard to deny that the overall package has a lot going for it. Creative arrangement ideas, expressive performances and sequencing, and a real sick moody vibe. I think Larry's on the money when he says that a few years from now, you'll probably hear all sorts of ways you can improve this, Cristian, but I think you've met our bar. Great job!

YES