Your websit: http://youtube.com/user/cyrilrufus

Your userid: 14729

Name of game(s) arranged: Cave Story

Name of arrangement: Moonlight

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Moonsong

Link to the original song:

Link to ReMix:

Link to Lyrics: http://pastebin.com/ik6Wehqa

Cyril "This ReMix. I really have to stop spending 1.5yrs+ on remixes. I guess that's what I get for arranging things beyond my ability to do and then expecting it to go off without a hitch. This idea was born out of me just... REALLY wanting to cover this song becuase it always struck me as very emotional during the game. I came up with this story that sort if illustrates what may have been going through the Main Characters head (not gonna friggin say it becuase this game is to good to ever be spoiled by errant descriptions ever) as he climbed up one of the most annoying platforming sections in the game.... I had this exact vision of what I wanted for the background vocals and I wanted another voice to help them stand out a bit. I had noticed Escariot had a few videos on Youtube with him doing these barbershop-y harmonies with himself after he approached me and he did NOT disappoint. Those are some smooth "moonlight"s to counter my harsh over-pushed baritone!"

Noah: "I actually approached Connor about a collab when I caught his WIP on the WIP Boards back in May '11. Between him doing musicy things and me doing schooly and worky and marriagey things, the song sorta sat for a while. I sent him my harmony vocals and provided some feedback as the updates came along. Lo and behold... song! Enjoy!"

Lyrics:

The wind cools my face

Soft light leaves a trace

Across sky and stone wall

Imparting silent grace

taste the mountain air

It somehow helps me bear

The pulse inside my being

The drive to help and care

(group vox)

Moonlight, Soft light

Shine on me

Moonlight, tonight

I climb

Moonlight, soft light

Strengthen me

Moonlight, tonight

It get's harder to breathe

I should have made my leave

Upon a flying dragon

But I couldn't leave her be

As I reach the peak

Mechanically so weak

But I will soon recover

To find the past I seek

(group vox)

(chorus)

Memories consume

Make my body move

Though it creaks and cries in protest

from all the stress

Flashing the images of those

Who gave up their lives

Trying to protect their homes

Drives me on...

I don't know who I am

But I know what's right n

I don't know who I am

But I'll be the hero tonight...

(group vox + chorus)

Moonlight... shine on me.

Edited by DragonAvenger

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite remixes is of this source. There's a lot of room for interpretation.

The interpretation here is pretty good, but the mixing is really bad. I think I'm hearing 60Hz guitar hum through the whole song. The intro is extremely quiet. I like the vocal tone, but the vocal manages to be loud without being understandable.

Cool arrangement for sure, but it needs lots of cleanup.

NO

• 2 months later...

Interesting opening. Good thickening of the vocals, though they sounded too distant, IMO; seems like a purposeful choice though, and it's not a huge deal to me.

The backing percussion and rhythm guitars brought in at 1:09 were kind of metronome-ish and vanilla. It's not poorly done, but it just seemed to have no real life to it and dragged on. Ironically, just altering the rhythm on the shaker-type sound and snare at 2:31 was enough to make that pattern sound much more interesting

Well, the lead vocals are generally not decipherable. But indecipherable words are perfectly acceptable in mainstream music, so I don't see the big deal here; the mixing's more important than whether I understand the words.

The chorusing on the supporting vocals at :49 seems OK, though I would have pulled them back just a bit.

That said, 1:58's chorus vocals seemed too muddy (mixing-wise, forget the delivery), there were a couple of spots that needed to be de-essed, and the combination with the supporting vocals just mudded together until 2:14. Weird fadeout of the vocals at 2:14 and again from 2:51-2:53; minor thing, but a slower fade would be better.

Loved the vocal build from 2:31 slowly getting more intense, then the epic chorusing at 2:44. Some decent soloing from 2:49-3:06, though it was over the more plodding backing patterns, and the guitar performance should have been tighter.

Heh. Interesting wail from 3:27-3:30. Would have went for different notes there, but it was fine and I liked the energy. The mixing from 3:30 was extremely cluttered; it just felt like guitars & backing vocals were sharing the same frequency range and mudding together, though it could be something else. 4:03-on was even worse where both sets of vocals and the instrumentation all just washed over each other with nothing cutting through in a clear foreground or background role.

I liked the deconstruction from 4:48 until the end for the finish; sweet idea there for a cooler way to fade things out.

Yeah, I'm not an engineer or production mind like Vig, but I know what I'm hearing and that's a messy soundscape getting in the way of a great arrangement. I may not be dead on in articulating what's specifically off, but do what you can to allow the individual parts to breathe more, Connor, and you guys would be in great shape.

Definitely do NOT drop this one and nag anyone and everyone you know that's better at mixing and take a tumble down the learning tree. :-) This is a well-though out arrangement concept where the performances get it done; you just need to adequately clean this up and you'd be good to go. I want to see this posted in some form, for sure.

NO (resubmit)

I always love the energy that you bring to your vocals. This is no exception, and Noah's backing vocals are always a nice touch as well. I think Larry has a ton of good tips on the different parts and what isn't working for them right now. Like Larry I don't think I can give you specifics on how to fix this up exactly, but I definitely want to see it happen. Keep working on this one, dudebro!

NO (please resubmit)