Donkey Kong 64 - 'K.Rool and K.Lumsy Punishment' [Final Boss]

timaeus222

Hey again! I just decided to post this here.

http://soundcloud.com/timaeus222/dk64-kroolandklumsypunishment-finalboss

Didn't make it to a potential OCR album because of the apparently liberal arrangement (which I knew about beforehand and was just hopeful that it wasn't), but no worries, I'll still release it as a regular ol' remix! Designed most of the sounds here, as usual. Fav sounds are that bass and the synth lead following the organ.

Edited by timaeus222

• 2 weeks later...

Monstrous Gators! =)

I'm kind of conflicted on the guitar sounds. There are places where they sound kind of sharp/abrupt (especially the first time they come in). Yet, other times they squeal just right, or blend in well-enough to create a pretty rad texture. I like where you're using them, but I think the sound/timbre isn't really doing the writing justice.

As for the "liberal" arrangement... I'm conflicted there too. On the one hand, I had a hard time identifying where the source was being used throughout much of the song. Pieces of it are present almost all of the time, but I had to switch between the remix and the source a lot to find them. On the other hand, there's a ton of originality here (outside of the zircon influence, which you noted in the soundcloud comments), which is refreshing.

I think it's incredible that you were able to work the source into anything cohesive at all. The source is all over the place. Like, it's straight-up Banjo-Kazooie sometimes. Grant Kirkhope copied his BK score verbatim in at least a few places. He weaves in themes from all over the game into one giant orchestral climax, often connected by pure orchestral flair and ostinatos without a memorable melody. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bagging on the piece, because it's amazing, but it's also a real challenge to take a piece like this and make it your own. However, I think you've done an admirable job on that front. There's one specific melodic line from the source I couldn't find anywhere in the remix, and I think it is sorely missed. It plays at 1:53 in this version of the source:

It's quite possible it's there and I just didn't hear it, but for me it's such a highlight of the source that I would consider highlighting more in your remix to better solidify the connection. Totally up to you and your creative determination though-- that's just my two cents.

Okay, all of that out of the way, I love the work you did on the various synths, both in the lead and flittering [sic] about in the background. Solid work there. The drum sequencing is varied and interesting. All of the delayed bell/chimes/etc effects are nice. The various sections of the song connect together with cymbal rolls and other effects very nicely and naturally. And speaking of the various sections... man, do you cover a lot of ground. That's another thing that reminds me of some of zircon's earlier work, actually. Let's see... 'Subterranean Opus' comes to mind. He takes us to so many different and interesting places in that song, I don't know if any 8 bars have quite the same instrumentation. Take any two parts of that song, and it's bewildering that he was able to connect them so seamlessly. You've got a similar kind of thing going on in your remix.

To sum up all of my ramblings into a succinct point: I like this song. There is source all over it, but I would be concerned about whether that source is recognizable enough in the way that you used it. Great work on a tough source!