*NO* X-Men 'Mutant Night at the Shi'ar Lounge'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Harold Jr(DoT) of SupaKool Ent.

Your real name: Harold J. Sullivan, Jr.

Your email address:

Your website: http://www.supakoolent.com

Your userid: 48786

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: X-Men (Sega 1993)

Name of arrangement: Mutant Night at the Shi'ar Lounge

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Shi'ar Empire level

Additional information: This is a remix of the Shi'ar Empire music of the 1993 Sega Genesis X-Men Video-game. The game's original music composer is Fletcher Beasley.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

The inspiration came from the thought of mutants having a night spot to chill-out after a long day of battling opposing forces. Kick back and enjoy!

Edited by Liontamer

Okay this source isn't the most inspiring in the world. Listening for 3 seconds I'm relieved that you took it way away from where it started.

Your arrangement is very creative and groovy. Nice chord selection. However, i'm surprised that with your relatively sophisticated harmonic writing, you didn't bother changing the note in the melody that clashes with your reharmonization.

Your arrangement is cool, but the production and writing is a bit clunky Your rhythm section plays boring rhythms, which is a problem (see piano and vocal pad). You'e got to have more interesting rhythms.

Great start though, and nice job sprucing up a pretty uninteresting source.

NO

• 2 months later...

First off, I don't care what ninja arts Vig knows, I poop on him for crapping on the X-Men soundtrack. That's a good theme, foo'! X-Men definitely had an odd sound to it, even for the Genesis, but it's got nothing but love here.

Strange opening; the timing of things seemed overly rigid right from the get-go. The mixing was too muddy, IMO, and the bass timing seemed just slightly behind, at least until the melody came in. No big deal, just pointing out what I heard. The lead at :23 was too quiet compared to the bass and pads, and the lead was bland and devoid of energy. This has gotta be sequenced, because no lead should sound that robotically timed; it saps the life out of this. The claps added at :41 were also louder than the lead.

The piano at 1:36 was pretty poor sound quality; just no body/richness to the sample. You need a sample with a thicker more realistic sound or need to mask the deficiencies of that sample with effects; when more things are going on at 2:31-2:49, the piano works much better in the background where it's less exposed. That said, I was enjoying the piano writing itself and thought it was a good change of pace. The thinner layered claps at 3:48 we're too exposed for a sound that dry.

I thought the bass writing sounded good overall, but Vig's right that the rhythms got boring after a while. There were some subtle drop-offs and whatnot, but overall this track just plodded along without enough dynamic contrast and without enough energy or presence in ANY of the mechanically-timed leads. It felt very static and unexpressive and made a 4 minute track feel like 6 long minutes.

The fadeout didn't even wind down properly; c'mon, man. You can't have it fadeout halfway then abruptly cut off. It's minor in the big picture, but that's just sloppy detail work; keep an eye on that stuff.

Damn, I like the arrangement too; that aspect of this was smart. But the execution isn't there yet, and some of the supporting writing could use touch-ups as well, like Vig alluded to. If you're willing to stick with it, Harold, please get more feedback at the Workshop forums and see what else you can do to improve this. Just being honest, I'm not sure you can get this to a point where we could pass it YET, but you DO show a lot of potential and I hope you stay hungry instead of getting discouraged.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Liontamer

• 2 months later...

Yeah, agreeing with the gentlemen here. The arrangement itself has some great ideas, but the production end of things are the main factor bringing it down. The entire thing feels very rigid, and overall the lack of humanization makes the parts feel like they are dragging. Similarly, I felt like the volumes overall are a bit on the quiet side, and you're losing some energy that way. I really thumping bass, for example, might really help this track groove.

The arrangement ideas are definitely on the right track, but you've gotta get the production up a little more to get this to shine. I'd love to hear this one again.

NO (resubmit)