Freedom of Youth- Mirrors Edge ReMix

Esperado

I've been working a mix of the same source. Mirror's Edge needs more attention, it's a beautiful game with an amazing soundtrack. Too bad the other tracks make it so hard to grasp the melodies that are there.

There's a whistly lead that's kind'a painful, and a lot of excessive and odd filtering on stuff, like the wrong things sounding muffled or hipassed, or just filtered too much. Too much is actually a good description of a lot of what's wrong with this on the mixing level. The amount of side-chaining becomes awkwardly at 2:17. The sounds themselves are pretty, especially in the break.

Arrangement-wise, it took me almost a minute to recognize the source. The recurring little melody might be source, but it's a bit too generic imo, it made me think Robert Miles rather than Lisa Miskovsky or the guy that made most of the soundtrack. Once past that, it works fine.

The bass is a little overly active. Might work, but it messes with the rhythm a bit too much. It doesn't have to blindly follow the beat or anything, but it should behave a little more consistently. The leads are buried. I get that they're supposed to be soft, but they're a bit too soft when plenty of other instruments, like the rhythmic pad and the bass dominate the frequency range the leads should have.

Source in the intro, fixing mixing. Pretty cool stuff. .D

- - but don't be afraid to automate the volume and some EQ bands of certain instruments to adjust to sections in your remix, and then automate them back to where they were when the section is over

Agreed, although if I have an instrument that needs to have its EQ changed in between sections, I find it easier to have several EQ plugins for the one instrument and just turn them on and off as needed. Saves a lot of trouble compared to automating EQ bands or such. Sure it's not as resource efficient (takes more memory and maybe cpu), but who's running out these days. :)

Edited by Byproduct

Agreed, although if I have an instrument that needs to have its EQ changed in between sections, I find it easier to have several EQ plugins for the one instrument and just turn them on and off as needed. Saves a lot of trouble compared to automating EQ bands or such. Sure it's not as resource efficient (takes more memory and maybe cpu), but who's running out these days. :)

I actually do the automation to save room for effects if I feel the need to add more. :D

do you guys usually automate during or after tracking? I've had some messy situations with automation before I'm done , like if I have to add new segments or move them around I have pretty much undo all my automation

You're going to have to delete your automation a lot. It's a pain but if you don't it limits you from doing the changes you need to make. Keep mental notes of what you want to do and save it for the end of your session. Each time you draw them they are going to be a little different and you will get better faster at making them.

Nice improvements in such a small amount of time!

Any decent DAW will typically have some way of moving automation along with the writing. If it's a pattern-based DAW like FL or just about anything tracker-derived, you should just avoid writing everything in the same pattern so you can move stuff around without worrying about screwing up the automation. I'm not an FL person so I can't say what other means FL has for moving automation. If it's a region-based DAW like Cubase or Logic, you should be able to lock the automation to the regions or have the option to move the automation along with the regions you move.

There may be some abrupt changes, such as volume jumps, if the automation doesn't line up close enough, but this can usually be fiddled with after the move.

And yeah, automation isn't final until the track is final, so you'll likely have to fiddle with it a lot anyway.