Remixer Name: Muggs Majandhra

E-mail:

UserID: 1207

Link: (File Attached)

FTP borked, will upload when I can

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Arrangement Name: Glitch Cavern

Original Song: Mystic Cave Zone

Comments: I suppose I was inspired to make this track after a particularly good KOAN Sound binge. I tend to stick with various forms of house, but I knew if I was going to do a Mystic Cave Zone remix it just had to be glitch-hop, so I gave it a try! I made this almost entirely in Reason 6. The beginning samples with Traktor since it simpler.

Regardless of whether or not this gets in, this submission marks a bit of a milestone for me. Ever since I started listening to OC remixes, I've always had ideas about mixes to put on this site. But until now, I've always had to rely on the request board to foster any hope of those ideas being made into a song. After years of thinking about it I've finally started to learn how to produce music and finally have come away with something I think is worth being judged. So, thanks for being something to work towards!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

You've got some very interesting sound design ideas, but the writing is a bit clunky. For example the intro: I don't care how cool your sound is; if you've just got one voice playing whole notes, it's going to be boring.

The arrangement as a whole is a bit too sparsely written. Nice start tho.

NO

also: air horn? really?

• 2 months later...

The volume seemed a bit high, but had an interesting intro. Pretty beefy beats at :20. Oooooh, no... when the melody came in at :40, the mixing became a mess for a bit. Definitely too cluttered during the densest areas. The leads should have cut through more, and they also weren't particularly expressive. The more saw-style synths just created noise and didn't add a thing to the piece except crowding.

Air horn at 3:38 & bubble SFX at 3:49 sounded too gimmicky, IMO, but whatever; that's not gonna swing a vote either way.

Vig's right about the sparseness of the writing. The TEXTURES are loud/dense, but as far as the

partwriting and tone that are contributing, again, a lot of the leads handling the Mystic Cave melody sounded very plain and very flat. The pace was really plodding and the dynamic curve of the composition was too flat.

Play with some rhythmic, tempo or instrumentation changeups; just something to give this more life and variety over time.

NO

• 1 month later...

Part-writing in this piece is actually super simple, masked by the sound design. I'm in agreement with Larry and Vig. I feel like this arrangement doesn't have much going on with it, and it's playing it pretty safe.

Counter-melody writing it's very interesting at all, and you've got some dissonance issues at 2:37. Sounds are not jiving.

Needs work.

NO (resub)