*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Hymn of Valor'

djpretzel

ReMixer Name: Red Omen

Email Address: red.omen@yahoo.com

Forum ID#: 10619

Game: Chrono Trigger

Songs: Courage and Pride, with snippets of Wind Scene and Frog's Theme

Comments: Featured as Track 8 on Chrono Symphonic ( http://chrono.ocremix.org ). Claado Shou gave me free reign to remix the song, since this particular segment had no specific script to follow. I had a lot of trouble starting out, since the song is in F# major (six sharps), and putting it in any other key would change the quality. The brief modulation at 0:40 forced me to go into double-sharps. So after a while, I got kind of sick of it and found a way to twist things into G major at 3:02 so I could think straight.

I would like to extend a huge thank-you to Andrew Triplett (Claado Shou), for organizing and implementing Chrono Symphonic; and to Roland Lölbach (Compyfox), for his hard work on the project and his advice, criticism and sound engineering on Hymn of Valor. Thanks to him, I now understand a great deal more about the production aspect of remixing.

- Red Omen

http://www.redomen.com

Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.

dsl.yahoo.com

The mixing here is kind of weird. The whole thing is very quiet and things that you would expect to have presence (like the snare, the crashes, and the brass) kind of don't. Overall I'm not sure if it works too well. The samples are a mixed bag, also; the snares + bass drum are really VERY VERY fake, in the sequencing and otherwise. The brass could be better too (it's a little too centered and mellow, with no edge or bite). The strings aren't so hot either, honestly. I KNOW there are better soundfonts than this for free - basically everything except the woodwinds really lacks warmth and brightness that you would expect, making everything quite subdued. The snare roll + crashes at 2:52 just sound terrible.

From the arrangement standpoint, nothing stood out as bad to me. However, the whole thing really didn't bring a lot to the table. Nothing struck me as particularly creative, and the ending was really quite lame - not much of a resolution. I guess in short, I felt that there was some creativity here, but it came across as amateurish and uninteresting.

I would like to hear a resubmit of this with some retooling of the arrangement and a possible sample upgrade (or crossgrade).

NO

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Courage and Pride" (ct-1-13.spc), "Kaeru's Theme" (ct-1-19.spc) & "Wind Scene" (ct-1-09.spc)

Yeah, it's not that I want to either be a snob or sound like a snob, but the sample usage doesn't sound vibrant and lacks presence like zircon mentioned. Indeed, there's absolutely no edge to this, everything sounds quiet, an though I hear panning being employed, this definitely doesn't take enough advantage of the stereo space.

This really needs extra polish to sound as if it were realistically performed, not simply in terms of getting OMG-level samples, but just humanizing the performance. Everything sounds dynamically flat and overly synthetic.

For example, the snare being played sounds incredibly fake when it's supposed to sounds like rapid taps (e.g. :01 and onward). I won't lie, I think anyone who doesn't mind that stuff wouldn't care about that, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I liked the arrangement here as well, but agreed with zircon that it didn't retain my interest and didn't really do much to stand out. The ending wasn't a total loss, but the very last brass note could have trailed off longer so the ending didn't come so abruptly and expose the samples. Sorry Ryan, the execution's just up to par.

NO (rework)

the snare rolls really really bug me, especially because they're the first noticeably fake sounding element of this remix, and they stick around for quite awhile. honestly, they sound worse then in the original spc.

the overall sample set is about "princess bride" quality to mine ears, if you catch my drift. if you don't, then go watch the princess bride and you'll know what i mean.

my biggest issue with this mix is really that the arrangement is cheesy, often vague and somewhat hamfisted in the way it presents itself.

low brass quarter notes in the opening section = wtf?

yeah, this just isn't doing anything for me. your grasp of music theory is solid, but you're essentially covering about 20% of the source material and filling the rest with melodramatic mush.

NO