*NO* Legend of Legaia 'My Little Jeremi'

djpretzel

Hi djcubez here with a submission from the game Legend of Legaia. It's been a long time since I've submitted a remix despite the amount of time I've spent in my sequencer of choice (FLStudio). Let's get to it:

Remixer Name: djcubez

Email Address: djcubez@hotmail.com

Userid: I don't remember (I already have a remix on the site)

Name of Game(s) remixed: Legend of Legaia

Name of individual song(s) remixed: Jeremi (The town of?)

Comments: I hope I filled out all the info correctly in the ID3 tags. The game information came form gamefaqs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/data/197766.html). I'm also going to explain the mix a little bit.The beggining starts with a tom groove and a badly sampled guitar. The sliding on the bass and the tom rythm was influenced by a New Orleans jazz piece that my school's jazz band was playing. I enjoyed it enough to incorporate it into this remix.

The mix then progresses to what I like to call a "soft rock" section. The drums play a very basic yet varying beat while the bass plays a confuzzled version of the main line (lead) of the song; the part that's remembered.

The next section utilizes saxophones and a full percussion set first playing a more down tempo version of the melody and speeding up with a neat rythmic chord progression that I deeply enjoyed making (especially the drums).

And next comes the latin part that starts with a simple kick-snare progression accompanied by yet another badly sampled guitar (forgive me). The piano then comes in and starts the groove which progresses into a solo.

The last section is basically the finale with some small breakbeat elements. Over the remix I tried to stress varying drumwork along with plenty of fills. I also spent a bit of extra time equalizing every part and compressing certain bits to give it a fuller sound that I enjoy and I hope the OC community can also enjoy.

Many thanks,

Joe "djcubez" Lloyd

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/LoL_psf.rar - 047 "Jeremi"

Nice, LoL.psf.

The percussion used to open things up or the first :24 was decent, even if the bassline and whatever other synth that was were rather sparse. Drums after :25 had some meat behind the sound, but the texture felt too sparse. That's because the bassline and faux guitar just don't fill out the soundfield adequately.

It's not until :56 that something interesting's even going on thanks to the sax synth belting out the source melody. The tone of the sample is decent (reminds me of the Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike soundtrack), but lacks meat on it.

The transition at 2:05 could have worked if you had drawn the transition out longer. As is, it just sounds abrupt and disjointed. Piano at 2:18 was decent, but very mechanical/inhuman in the performance and lacking richness in the sounds. The quality of the piano was already not hot, and hearing it repeat and wear out it's welcome ALL the way to the very end didn't help. The arrangement simply suffered on account of the repetition.

There's just not enough rhythm/support instrumentation going on to compliment the melody and fill out the track, the sample quality sounds pretty unpolished and lacks richness, and the second half of the arrangement needs more variation in the arrangement and/or instrumentation choices of the lead. This one needs a lot of work to lift it up.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

This song is really lacking in humanization. Everything is like...set to one velocity value throughout the entire song. Sax sounds really mechanical as does the piano.

Drums are great, but it's obvious that that's what you really spent most of your time on. The rest of the mix is pretty boring, and that ending is just a cop out. Sounds like an unfinished WIP.

NO

edit: haha i said unfinished wip. redundancy ftw

It's been a while since I've heard a mix from you.

I do like the beat and percussions - I think you overused the flams personally at the beginning, not to mention it was too predictable in how that was used. The fills and variations were a great touch though. Your hard work did pay off with the drums. You've improved immensely in that regard.

The rest of the material I'm a little ify on. I think the arrangement could have been worked on more, especially with supporting material. At times it felt rather basic with simple piano, then the bassline and drums with not much fullness in the overall sound. I'd like to hear this with some more instrumentation, heck, even a pad playing the chords.

Sax parts were ok, but admirable. But like the piano both parts were incredibly mechanical, lacking dynamics and humanization. Those parts need to be addressed quite a bit.

I do want to give you props for the bass parts though. Nice work there as well, the slides added a cool authenticity factor.

It's good to see you back in the game. You've improved a lot, but at this point, I too feels a little incomplete due to the mechanical/dynamics issues and more supporting matterial requirements. Keep at it. You should continue to submit new work or rework this. NO