Remixer name: Bluelighter

Mail:

ID forum: 30998

From the album project: Final Fantasy 9

Game & Songs: Final Fantasy 9 – Sleepless City Treno

Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU

Link:

Comment:

Treno’s theme is really my favourite of the game; so that I could play this in loop in piano:) For long time, I wanted to know what it would look like with an orchestral dimension. ff9 album project was the opportunity to make mine!

In this mix, I wanted to insist on a cheerful rhythm of marching band, with also some more exotic parts by using of woodwinds and pizz.

Thanks to fishy who really helped to finish this mix and get a version presentable to OCR!

I hope you’ll like this arrangement :)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 4 months later...

Pretty fun mix you have going on here. I like the idea of making this into a march, and I think you have a lot of strong arrangement ideas here. The big issue is the production and the overall stiffness of the execution. Right now the instruments all are sounding pretty weak overall. I know you're going for a concert hall setting, but everything feels like it's being heard from a distance. Some greater clarity between the parts and getting them to pop a little more is the first step I think.

The other aspect is the stiffness of the parts. For a march played by an orchestra/band you want to have a decent amount of humanization to make it sound like a live performance. Right now everything is very stiff. Try working with your velocities on attacks to make everything more lifelike.

I think you have a pretty good start here, and I'd encourage you to keep working on it. Be sure to hit up Fishy for some more advice too, as a good project director should be around to do :)

NO (resubmit)

The soundscape sounded too muddy to start until :19. I wasn't put off by the sequencing from :20-on when the theme truly kicked in. It's obviously meant to be very stiffly timed much like the original song's feel, so I thought that was a fine and fair aspect to retain here. I see how others could take issue with it, but I strongly feel that that aspect is executed well-enough in this arrangement in a clear nod to the source. This should not be held against it.

The bowed strings and brass samples both sounded very unrealistic and too thin & flimsy, so those sounds could be improved; muddy soundscape or not, those parts were still very exposed to me.

The chorus at :58 was personalized very nicely, and even when sections repeated, there were always different instrumental variations being employed here. Unfortunately, the mixing just ends up sounding very muddy and lo-fi for the densest sections, in particular :00-:19, :58-1:07 & 1:58-2:47.

To me, this is a conservatively structured but solidly and creatively personalized arrangement. If the mixing was good, i would YES this in a second. Some of the sample strain for credibility and realism, but I thought the arrangement rose above that. However, the overally mixing of this piece really undermines the quality of the arrangement.

I know you're going for a concert hall setting, but everything feels like it's being heard from a distance. Some greater clarity between the parts and getting them to pop a little more is the first step I think.

I specifically agreed with this, and I think that's the main problem here. Right now, the densest sections all sound too cluttered and indistinct. If you could address this, and possibly improve the realism of the instrumentation as well, this would be in much better shape to be approved. Very, very promising; even in this state, it will make a solid addition to the FF9 project, even if it does need additional polish.

NO (resubmit)

I don't think it sounding like a concert hall is a good way to describe the problem, because this is a largely orchestral arrangement and it should sound like that. I think the problem is more with the low-quality samples that don't sound as clear as they should. But the two other votes are dead on when they say that realism is a problem. It just sounds way too rigid and flat for what is supposed to be a realistic piece. I liked stuff like the drum roll near the end because that seemed like a very "human" moment. Whereas the coda that comes after it goes back to the same flat arranging. Just like the Asterix sub of yours I heard, focus on making your production sound more realistic.

NO (resubmit)