Zelda's Lament - A Legend of Zelda Piano Medley

Pl511

stats.png

(Youtube Link)

This medley combines Zelda's Lullaby (Ocarina of Time), Song of Healing (Majora's Mask), Midna's Lament (Twilight Princess), Legendary Hero (Wind Waker) and Fi's Lament (Skyward Sword) as well as a lot of my own composition. Every variation on each theme is intentional, so don't worry about telling me that Zelda's Lullaby doesn't usually sound like that or that Midna's Lament uses the wrong notes in some places. This was just a fun little song that started from the original arrangement of Zelda's Lullaby you hear at the beginning and grew from there.

I can't really comment much on piano technique or arrangement, since that isn't my forte. But I'd like to say that I really enjoyed listening to this! I really liked your variations on the themes, and I thought it came together very well. Did you play it by hand?

Thanks! Although the whole thing was not done in a single recording, each section was individually played in with my keyboard so that I could work more on the arrangement than the hassle of learning the whole piece and then going through the hassle of recording a mistake-less version. XD This way I also managed to get rid of the issue of re-doing entire sections after Midna's Lament because I was initially going to go down the Hyrule Field route after that and it was only because of the fairly impromptu key change that I managed to do this. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I had a blast making it and I'm happy that so many people on Youtube have also been happy with it. XD It's on 3 000 views at the time of posting! :D

Hey I love this!

I love your articulation with the notes; you incorporated some really nice subtle dynamics.

I'm having a very hard time deciding whether or not this is too medley-ish; you combined the themes very well! If you're planning on submitting it, I would at least return to the Lullaby theme at the end, to make a sort of ABA form going. That, and I would add just a bit more original melodies/variations.

One part that stands to me is the transition into Midna's Lament. The ascending arpeggios seem a bit too sudden--I would smooth that out somehow.

Other than that, this is some really nice work! Is this done on an electric keyboard? Or did you record it by other means?

this is great! You're using a very nice piano tone and I would love to hear this played on an acoustic instrument. Your hand balance is great and the only thing I could suggest is more dynamic variation to create tension, but that's largely up to how you would like the tune to feel. The whole piece feels very quiet. Very silent like light filtering through a forest canopy.