*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'PsyBattle'

djpretzel

artist: majeliss

game remixed: Final Fantasy 7

Merry meet ^__^

This is one of those faithful psytrance pieces trying to incorporate a good melody structure into the genre because it's a remix... The original material seems to be hidden in the style very well it seems (judging from other feedback) though, i will argue that the source is very there and pretty obvious- if you know the source well i suppose.

If you're familiar with the genre, you should agree that the structure was intentional and rather difficult to give Psytrance a solid melody. I just hope the style entertains enough in the eyes of the OCR judges! (I tried imitating Infected Mushroom on this one-save for the structure and a few samples...).

Blessed be!

Well.. this is better than a lot of your previous submissions. The Infected Mushroom influence is very obvious - you basically straight up COPIED their style. However, this isn't quite there yet. I think the arrangement is too far from the original; a lot of the original harmony and melody is just missing. For the amount of new/non-FF7 material in there, 3:09 is FAR too short. Also, I think you went overboard with the assorted sound effects, like the reversed orchestra hit, the sweeps, swooshes, etc. I also think the main snare is a little too overbearing and powerful. The synths that are actually playing the melody and harmony are not brought enough to really be noticeable. Finally, the ending is pretty lame.

Work on this more. Expand the arrangement, include more of the original, tweak your synth design, polish.

NO

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 110 "Fighting"

Dunno anything about Infected Mushroom, so I can't weigh in from that angle. Yeah, I hear the connections to "Fighting", but much like your Sonic & Knuckles submission a while ago the connections to the source are potentially too vague/tenuous to be easily recognizable. I heard a lot of what you're going for, but it's a tough sell.

Good stuff from :16-:32 arranging the very beginning of the source. Melody came in at :40, but the overall texture here seemed rather simplistic. Most of the way through, it sounded like there supposed to be a lot more power and energy here, which I believe is a result of the plain synth design zircon alluded to.

1:23-2:08 had more tenuous-level connections to the source, most notably made by the brief vox (1:36-1:46). 2:08-2:27 had some more overt arrangement with some good piano-based ideas, though I felt like arranging other sections of the source would have provided more variation rather than repeating already-used portions of the source.

I thought there was enough arrangement here overall to not need to be deemed too liberal in a standards sense, you just have to grasp the connections that are there. But like zirc mentioned, the mix feels underdeveloped overall because other areas of the source tune weren't explored. Overall, I liked the ideas here.

I agreed with zircon in that the ending was really poor. It can work, but you have to build to that type of ending in some way. I too would suggest working more on synth design and polish, as well as expanding the arrangement. Personally, while I don't care for the genre, I thought this was pretty promising. Your subs continue to improve.

NO (rework/resubmit)

not quite there. certainly above the level of most techno submissions we get.

this mix is extremely low on melody. as zirc said, bring out the melodic ideas a lot more.

sounds pretty good, but needs to be better before it'll pass through the panel. and if it were my mix, i'd really revise that ending....that's just me though.

NO RESUBMIT