*NO* Metroid Fusion 'Gravity'

Liontamer

Too liberal? He said it. (Not that I wouldn't have pointed it out myself.) - LT

remixer: Theophany

remix: "Gravity"

source: Vs Nightmare:

game: Metroid Fusion

Hey guys,

I believe Shinesparkers will be releasing its Harmony of a Hunter: 101% Run sometime this month. I don't know if you are considering a flood of anything from the album, but I wanted to submit either way. This is a contemporary "hybrid score" style remix of the Nightmare boss theme from Metroid Fusion. "Gravity" is more akin to ferocious trailer music than my emotional tribute material from Crystal Flash, and it's also slightly different from the Shinesparkers release version. This version includes a few extra tech/weaponry audibles created from slicing and sequencing found sounds. In terms of arrangement I chose to avoid the keychange in the original song, instead expanding on the interpretation and main theme, including a "slowed down" version toward the end. Hopefully it's not too liberal. It would be awesome to see some Metroid Fusion make it to the site. Thanks for your consideration and time.

Cheers,

Jason

Edited by Liontamer

The mix was 5:54-long, so I needed at least 177 seconds' worth of overt source usage to pass this. As is, yeah, I'm not finding enough.

:35.75-1:47, 1:52-1:59, 2:47.75-3:11.5 = 102 seconds or 28.8% overt source usage

Other stuff like the patterns from 2:00-2:12, 2:12-2:47, 3:24-4:00, or 4:00-4:23... those things seem meant to be rhythmically similar to the 8-note pattern of the source tune, but there's no actual melodic connection, and it's very easy for the interpretation to venture into too liberal territory.

If anyone who can compare the note patterns wants to weigh in and offer some clarity, that would be appreciated. That being said, I can't say it would matter to me if these patterns were moved a few steps, it just doesn't sound that way to me.

I love the parts that do very obviously use the source. I think in trying to develop the ideas further and perhaps not be too repetitive, Jason veered too far away from the source tune with some of his patterns and ultimately DID go too liberal with the approach. Sounds great in a vacuum, and Jason did a great job, but I think even he knows it a bit of a stretch.

Unless a compelling case is made that the patterns are closer to the source's 8-note melody, this is just going to have to be one for me to admire outside of OCR. If that's the case, a "radio edit" or revised version that used the source melody more closely during some of these long liberal sections would easily make it.

NO

• 2 months later...

You've gotta be really careful about mixing sources that are very short and attempting to expand them a lot. It's very easy to veer off in the realm of "inspired by" rather than sticking to "an arrangement of." When I tackle a short source, I usually try to grab another theme from the game to fill things out melodically. I feel like there are significant sections of this piece that, while not sounding out of place stylistically in say, a Metroid Prime game, still strays too far from the actual source tune you're trying to arrange.

I really like this piece (the arrangement and production are fantastic), but I feel like it could use a lot more actual Metroid material. I'm not sure if you're up for revisiting this track, but if you are, maybe poke around the Fusion soundtrack and see if there's any strong melodic themes you can pull into this piece.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Really epic mood you've got going on here, and when this clicks with the source, it does so quite well. As the other judges mentioned, though, the mix veers a bit too far away from the source at times, and I think there's gotta be more connections overall for us. I would definitely love you to hit this one up again and tie it together for us, but I can understand you wanting to leave this done as-is. Regardless, good production throughout and a very nice listen!

NO (resubmit, please)