Tekken Revolution (Free To Play!)

My faith in fighting games has been low these days.

Here you go:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/

You're living in the golden age of arcade fighters. Get a stick and get to practice (mode). :)

As for tekken online I don't have a PS3 and I already have Tag Tournament 2 that I haven't had much time to play so probably not getting it.

Also have DOA5, SCV, SSF4, VF5FS, and I haven't had any time for those either. I wish this nonstop flow of games I need to play would end already. :grin:

Here you go:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/

You're living in the golden age of arcade fighters. Get a stick and get to practice (mode). :)

As for tekken online I don't have a PS3 and I already have Tag Tournament 2 that I haven't had much time to play so probably not getting it.

Also have DOA5, SCV, SSF4, VF5FS, and I haven't had any time for those either. I wish this nonstop flow of games I need to play would end already. :grin:

I thought the golden age of arcade fighters was the 1990s? :<

I thought the golden age of arcade fighters was the 1990s? :<

Just where in the sam-heck did you hear that?

-Fighters are more balanced than ever (no more insanely OP/broken characters like Kabal in MK for instance)

-Online play isn't always perfect but it's far better than waiting at the arcade for someone to show up who knows what they are doing.

-The games themselves are more fluid and more dynamic from over three generations of slowly expanding systems.

-Youtube allows for quick discovery of awesome 14 hit comboage.

-Character customization means you can get everyone half naked if you want to. I do.

-Practice modes have developed. No more spending 75 cents to get one play and hope you discover something new about your character.

-If you win, or lose, someone might call you a scrub. Back in the day I got punched in the arm, backhanded in the chest, and even....screamed at. :?

There's bound to be more but i'm feeling like I could go a few quick rounds in TTT2. :)

...but you get the idea.

Edited by Garpocalypse

Just where in the sam-heck did you hear that?

-Fighters are more balanced than ever (no more insanely OP/broken characters like Kabal in MK for instance)

-Online play isn't always perfect but it's far better than waiting at the arcade for someone to show up who knows what they are doing.

-The games themselves are more fluid and more dynamic from over three generations of slowly expanding systems.

-Youtube allows for quick discovery of awesome 14 hit comboage.

-Character customization means you can get everyone half naked if you want to. I do.

-Practice modes have developed. No more spending 75 cents to get one play and hope you discover something new about your character.

-If you win, or lose, someone might call you a scrub. Back in the day I got punched in the arm, backhanded in the chest, and even....screamed at. :?

There's bound to be more but i'm feeling like I could go a few quick rounds in TTT2. :)

...but you get the idea.

Good points.

I actually do have an arcade stick and all that. So once this new Tekken comes out I'll give it a shot and possibly get into Darkstalkers Resurrection more.

Tecmo and Team Ninja actually did this with Dead or Alive 5 recently. Es ist mir egal, but don't be surprised to hear the same people pissed about on disc DLC and being nickled and dimed go nuts about this.

I think we're in for a paradigm shift in how we consume fighting games.

..But really, where the hell are my PC releases, publishers!? I want to play Blazblue and Soul Calibur 5 on my laptop! At least MK is coming out on Steam soon.

Tecmo and Team Ninja actually did this with Dead or Alive 5 recently. Es ist mir egal, but don't be surprised to hear the same people pissed about on disc DLC and being nickled and dimed go nuts about this.

I think we're in for a paradigm shift in how we consume fighting games.

..But really, where the hell are my PC releases, publishers!? I want to play Blazblue and Soul Calibur 5 on my laptop! At least MK is coming out on Steam soon.

Just looked up DOA 5 Ultimate...hmm. I actually think this free-to-play thing is a step in the right direction for the genre.

To me, the charm of fighting games is being able to master a single character and beat everyone's ass with them. DOA 5 will feature 4 or 5 playable characters (which includes the character I usually play as in DOA) but all characters from the retail game are opponents from the start and cost like $4-5 to unlock and play as them. Tekken allows you to upgrade characters RPG style and presumably will release DLC characters down the road.

So basically, I'd only have to spend just five bucks if I really want a non-DLC character. If I remain perfectly satisfied with the character I have from the get-go, I'm out nothing. :mrgreen:

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

So basically, I'd only have to spend just five bucks if I really want a non-DLC character. If I remain perfectly satisfied with the character I have from the get-go, I'm out nothing. :mrgreen:

I'm wondering how this is going to affect defense training though. Spending 4-5 bucks for a character to play might be ok but spending 4-5 bucks on a character just to figure out your counters in a controlled environment is going to suck.

I'm all for more people to play against but I can't help but feel that this free to play stuff is a cancer of the industry. It used to be that I wish I had more money to get the games I wanted to play. Now it's I have too many games to play and not enough time to play them.

Not that I really am able to play them anymore which makes the whole thing alot worse. :)

For the record I think fighting games going to PC would be a horrible thing. Just the suspicion that someone was able to figure out how to knock a few frames off of a punisher or have botted their throw escapes is enough to ruin every match you play. I know some games like SSF4 have already gone to pc but last i checked almost no one plays them.

I can't find anything about the game other than there is no Jin Kazama yet. Do you have to unlock their moves as you play?

You don't unlock moves as far as I know. You can unlock Steve, Alisa and one other character that I forget at the moment. Which makes me wonder, if they release more characters down the road, are you going to have to buy them and then play more to unlock the ones you purchased as well? That would be ridiculous so I hope not.

The ability to increase your stats (Strength, Health and Luck basically) isn't really much of a problem when you're fighting people around the same level as you because they will have attained around the same number of Skill Points as you, but of course they may have allocated them to different stats entirely. I didn't really notice it initially, but good players from previous Tekkens at level 0 who go up against someone who is like level 10 and has evenly distributed their skill points, struggles a bit more than you would expect. This is because the opponent will do more damage, have more health and chances of landing critical hits and rage mode are higher. So if that player manages to land in just a few good combos and a couple lucky throws....it can be over real quick. So if you're good at these games, and are just starting to improve your character, you don't have as much room for slip ups against n00bz as you would have in the past. I can see some people having a problem with this, but for the most part, if you're fighting people around the same level, the RPG elements make the game more interesting.

The only other thing I can see people really not liking, is the "coins" system. You have to spend virtual coins to play arcade mode and online. Arcade coins and Battle coins respectfully. You can only have two Arcade coins at a time, which replenish one per hour and 5 battle coins, which replenish 1 every half hour. There are also "premium tickets" and coins which will work for all modes. Tickets can be earned through in game tasks, coins can be purchased. If you win the battle, you get to keep your premium tokens. So if you want to play hours on end, you'll have to pay unless you're good. I can see the hardcore hating this aspect and I will agree that it's kind of a strange way to monetize the game.

Overall though, I'm having lots of fun with it. I might even pick up Tekken Tag 2 sometime in the next few months. That's probably what Namco is hoping for too.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

You don't unlock moves as far as I know. You can unlock Steve, Alisa and one other character that I forget at the moment. Which makes me wonder, if they release more characters down the road, are you going to have to buy them and then play more to unlock the ones you purchased as well? That would be ridiculous so I hope not.

The ability to increase your stats (Strength, Health and Luck basically) isn't really much of a problem when you're fighting people around the same level as you because they will have attained around the same number of Skill Points as you, but of course they may have allocated them to different stats entirely. I didn't really notice it initially, but good players from previous Tekkens at level 0 who go up against someone who is like level 10 and has evenly distributed their skill points, struggles a bit more than you would expect. This is because the opponent will do more damage, have more health and chances of landing critical hits and rage mode are higher. So if that player manages to land in just a few good combos and a couple lucky throws....it can be over real quick. So if you're good at these games, and are just starting to improve your character, you don't have as much room for slip ups against n00bz as you would have in the past. I can see some people having a problem with this, but for the most part, if you're fighting people around the same level, the RPG elements make the game more interesting.

The only other thing I can see people really not liking, is the "coins" system. You have to spend virtual coins to play arcade mode and online. Arcade coins and Battle coins respectfully. You can only have two Arcade coins at a time, which replenish one per hour and 5 battle coins, which replenish 1 every half hour. There are also "premium tickets" and coins which will work for all modes. Tickets can be earned through in game tasks, coins can be purchased. If you win the battle, you get to keep your premium tokens. So if you want to play hours on end, you'll have to pay unless you're good. I can see the hardcore hating this aspect and I will agree that it's kind of a strange way to monetize the game.

Overall though, I'm having lots of fun with it. I might even pick up Tekken Tag 2 sometime in the next few months. That's probably what Namco is hoping for too.

Yea, free to play is a freaking cancer. :) In a weird way I kinda dig the tokens being used in a similar way as the coin ops of yesteryear but the whole reason I pay 60 bucks up front is because I know i would run up the cost of the game to well over 200 bucks by the time I finish playing it.

Enjoy though and let me know if you pick up TTT2 (and have it on 360). Also keep in mind that i've lost every friend i've made through playing fighting games with them. Online friends i mean. :)