Text based adventures

Esperado

Im just curious as to which of you guys played any of the old classic text based games, which ones, and what you liked about them. I suppose now that im older i may not enjoy them as much as i used to, but theyre still nostalgic. Theyre almost like a choose your own adventure book taken to a new level.

My favorites were zork, enchanter and this old ghost town game where you collected *treasures*. i never beat any of them, but the mind boggling puzzles combined with frustratingly simple two word commands always was enjoyable. it was also fun drawing maps of the locations within game. I wonder why they havent made many good text based games for kindles and the like.

I couldn't ever get very far in the proper old-school text adventures. Maybe my English wasn't up to par then, or I just preferred to spend the time on more graphical games (not that I didn't play lots of roguelikes). But I've enjoyed a couple of newer interactive fiction games, Photopia, 9:05 and ... this single-turn game I can't remember the name of. These are all pretty short, and I suppose I never really got into the interactive fiction scene, as interesting as it seems to me.

--Eino