Mega Man IV (NES) and V (Gameboy) - Imhotep Step

Jamphibious

Hello! Lookin' for some feedback on my recent mix for the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet. This was a fun one, but perhaps there are some issues to iron out. I'm hoping to sub it to the site! Any help would be most appreciated :D

Primarily its a mix of Pharaoh Man and Sunstar, trading off with some overlap throughout. Mercury only makes a small appearance, so perhaps that part can be up for a change. Lemme know!

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-reed/the-beat-masters-amphibious

Here are the sources:

Mega Man IV (NES) - Pharaoh Man:

Mega Man V(Gameboy) Sunstar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Mf3o7oVQ4

Mega Man V(Gameboy) Mercury (VERY minimally used, only in the transition at 1:20 - 1:27): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4mCnIHYKyk

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have my good headphones on right now, but I can comment on sound selection and arrangement flow, etc.

At 0:31 (and 1:36), the resonant WN sweep is pretty loud compared to the lead and bass. I can technically distinguish all three at once, but the lead seems a bit buried, while the bass is at the "right" volume relative to the drums, IMO. The lead timbre also seems a bit basic. Sounds like a simple square lead, to me. See if you can add more personality to it. Modwheel heavy vibrato, a mild LFO on an LP filter, etc. Tighter sequencing might help as well if you try the modwheel heavy vibrato (i.e. stopping the sound completely after some of the vibrato moments). Basically, treat the lead like you would an organic instrument in terms of phrasing, like you did at 1:03.

And something you could try is an ambient hit and dropping the drums at 2:52 and doing a snare roll or tom roll to lead into the last note.

Edited by timaeus222

I don't have my good headphones on right now, but I can comment on sound selection and arrangement flow, etc.

At 0:31 (and 1:36), the resonant WN sweep is pretty loud compared to the lead and bass. I can technically distinguish all three at once, but the lead seems a bit buried, while the bass is at the "right" volume relative to the drums, IMO.

Hm alright. I see what you're saying about the sweep, so I'll take a look at the levels. An easy enough fix.

The lead timbre also seems a bit basic. Sounds like a simple square lead, to me. See if you can add more personality to it. Modwheel heavy vibrato, a mild LFO on an LP filter, etc. Tighter sequencing might help as well if you try the modwheel heavy vibrato (i.e. stopping the sound completely after some of the vibrato moments). Basically, treat the lead like you would an organic instrument in terms of phrasing, like you did at 1:03.

The verse lead is a bit robotic I'll admit, though there is a tad of vibrato at the end of phrases, and I kinda like the timbre even if it is basic. Still I may be able to spice it up some more and make it feel more lively so I'll take a look at it. The lead at 1:03 is actually using the same instruments that are used in the verse, though I guess I was just more interesting with them the 2nd time around.

And something you could try is an ambient hit and dropping the drums at 2:52 and doing a snare roll or tom roll to lead into the last note.

The ending did seem like it could use something else so I'll take that into account as well.

Thanks for the comments!

• 1 month later...

Not a full mod review:

No time for source comment, no source comment. Maybe later.

Really bright highs, and its not helping your filtered leads at all. Sweet groove. Track flows well. Sparse soundscape, leaving a lot of the mid register unused. The bass is rather high, too, could probably be doubled with a sine bass an octave down (but highpassed so it doesn't add unnecessary subs when the real bass is low enough).

Not ready for ocr yet.