*NO* Streets of Rage 'Vigilante Blues'

Liontamer

Hello

Enclosed is my remix.

Since you prefer download links to attachments, I've hosted the track for you in a zip file on (non temporary) mediafire link here:

Please let me know if there's anything else

Thanks for your consideration

-Jack

Contact Information

* Xij

* Jack Oughton

* www.xijmusic.com

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile

* e.g. djpretzel (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=1) has the userid of "1"

Submission Information

* Streets Of Rage

* Vigilante Blues

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: Innercity

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

--------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Definitely a big fan of this source tune. This approach clearly retains the structure of the original, including some instrumentation that mirrors the original closely. That said, this was a good listen.

Though it's not bad, the original writing with the ambient tones or whatever those are from 1:04-1:35 didn't really integrate that well with the source tune backing pattern, IMO. 1:35-1:55 continued with a close cover while adding some original writing and SFX ear candy.

You really hear the conservative structure of the source arrangement reflected from 1:54-3:28. More original writing from the ambiance and warbly stuff over the top of the source beats from 3:27 until the end at 4:16. The ending at 4:16 just cuts off abruptly during the fade down, which would need to be fixed.

That said, the arrangement was going somewhat in the right direction in attempting to personalize the instrumentation, but it came off like more of a sound upgrade than a hugely interpretive piece. It keeps the core of the source tune intact while playing around with the textures, having good ear candy and some original writing, but in the end, it's just not different ENOUGH from the source, and much of the part-writing was wholesale from the source without a different enough mood, structure or fell compared to the original.

This would definitely fit well in a Streets of Rage Remake environment, Jack, and it's not without merit. Hell, maybe I could be an outlier. But I compare back and forth with the original, and the overall feel is just too similar for me to pass when I think about the arrangement/interpretation standards here. It's just too conservative of an arrangement for me to sign off on.

Some additional ideas interpretive could definitely gets this to a point where I'd feel comfortable passing it, but it's not at that point right now. Nice work on this regardless; no matter the guidelines here, this was an enjoyable piece that was put together well.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Larry's an outlier here. There's some good stuff going on here, but overall it's a little too close to the source, and there are sections that feel like they are vamping a bit too long. I think either adding some more interpretation and some original melodies and possibly trimming some of the less active sections will be a good first move for you. I also wasn't a bit fan of some of the lead sounds, which felt a bit too harsh for the rest of the soundscape, but that may be more personal opinion than anything else.

Definitely take Larry's advice to heart, and consider revamping this a bit to be a bit more your own and a little more interesting. As Larry (again) said, not too much wrong with this as-is for a cover/upgrade, but if you're looking to go the OCR route we need a bit more personalization. Good luck to you!

NO (resubmit)