Wily Castle ReMix Gauntlet 2013 - Round 2 ReMix Stems :D

timaeus222

I liked Brandon's idea of releasing some stems to help people practice their mixing, so I took the time to do this for you guys as well.

This is my round 2 entry for the Wily Castle ReMix Gauntlet, and it's more complex than the general person might initially notice. That's why I decided to render these stems so people can see what layers actually went into this mix and perhaps further refine their sound selection skills by having this as a reference. :) Now, the actual mixing/mastering process took a ridiculously long time because it was very difficult (12+ hours out of a total of 28 hours), so some things have been already processed a little to help.

You guys have been so awesome since I've been here, and before then too, so here's something for you guys to help you grow as artists! Looking forward to incarnations you guys come up with or any questions you might have! :)!!

Stems: 19 Stems & Misc. Info (47.52MB OGG, 176MB WAV)

Original ReMix for reference: Funky Moles & Trashy Ducks

Edited by timaeus222

Unless I'm mistaken, I hear a weird phasing/volume fluctuation issue in the bass instruments and wide instruments all throughout. Very strange. No clue what happened there. :shock:

I purposely left out how I compressed the kick and snare so people could go either way (heavier or tighter). The snare is pretty good. The kick is a little bit buried, but not that badly; that too didn't start out with compression. :) I like the hard panning on the C64 arp, but with the phasing issue I'm apparently hearing (I don't hear it on my original), I may just be hearing panning that isn't happening. xD

I also tried re-mixing my own stems right after I made them, and I didn't get phasing issues, so something's up? Hm.

Edited by timaeus222

Some faux phasing at the start was intentional. :) Just gotta learn to make it sound good i guess.

Didn't do anything to the arps but some eq. I think it was just a drop around 2k too.

snare was saturated and compressed.

kick was eq'ed and compressed.

Strings were split and hard panned.

I worked extensively in mono so there should be no phasing outside of the intro. Bass intentionally goes Mono-stereo-mono-stereo throughout. I did have to convert the OGGs to WAVs which I did through audacity. I ended up, for some reason, with everything set to a stereo track. So I split mono'ed a bunch of them and threw out half of the signal. Not sure if I did that for the arps though, i think I left those alone.

Edited by Garpocalypse

Strings were split and hard panned.

Split? Like you used two stem clones and... panned each one? Or...?

I worked extensively in mono so there should be no phasing outside of the intro. Bass intentionally goes Mono-stereo-mono-stereo throughout. I did have to convert the OGGs to WAVs which I did through audacity. I ended up, for some reason, with everything set to a stereo track. So I split mono'ed a bunch of them and threw out half of the signal. Not sure if I did that for the arps though, i think I left those alone.

I personally find it really strange that the bass's position keeps moving around. Switching between mono and stereo throughout is having a weird effect on the stereo image overall. Sometimes it feels like there's random panning and stuttering, like at 1:03-1:18. I noticed the switch to stereo from 1:28 to 1:32, and that also feels odd to me. By default, if everything was layered as they were, there would have been zero positioning issues (no large jumps from narrow to wide, no jumps from front to back, etc.), so I think it has something to do with how you processed it in Audacity? Also, now that I think about it, the bass is a little too loud compared to the kick whenever the bass is in the very front. I can kinda feel the impact of the weakest kick (I used three kicks in this; the main electro kick, the "overkill" electro house kick, and the one with punchiness in between those two), but I could feel it more in the original mixing.

I'll probably convert the OGGs to WAVs myself later on and provide those too.

Edited by timaeus222

• 5 weeks later...