Liontamer

ReMixer name: Benjaipod

email address:

userid: 51950

Name of game: Chrono Trigger

Name of arrangement: Time Stopper Batucada

Name of individual song: Chrono Trigger Introduction theme

Link to the original soundtrack:

Adittional Information: As you may know, the composer of Chrono Trigger is Yasunori Mitsuda, i'm a big fan of his work.

Comments: What if there is a Chrono Trigger movie? That's what i was thinking when i created this remix, i wanted to keep the escence of the song but make it powerful. I created a strong "batucada", "trashy" rythm, and started playing with it. finally i had this strong and powerful version of this awesome song. It really sound like a movie trailer for me. I hope you like it

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Opened up OK with a good cover of the clock-tick intro. Moved over into "Chrono Trigger" at :27. Not sure about the balance between the string lead at the percussion at :51; I would have pulled the percussion back compared to the lead. Other supporting writing like the pizz strings are pretty buried as a result.

1:58-2:27 was a nice rise in the energy level, but the soundscape was still very muddy. 2:40's lead & percussion writing sounded like a cut-and-paste of :51's section, with some slightly different things going on in the background. The supporting writing still sounded too indistinct as well. Also of note, the percussion writing was more sophisticated here than in your Zeal arrangement, but you're still putting your patterns on cruise control.

3:46-4:15 was another cut-and-paste, this time of 1:58-2:27, before heading into source tune's famous resolution and ending with the fading clock pendulum.

With less mud and better balance among the parts, this would sound much more cohesive. If 2:40-4:15 hadn't been cut-and-pasted so simply and more substantial variations had been explored, I could be more in favor of this. That and the murky, imbalanced soundscape added up to a NO for me, even though Benjamín (yet again) had an overal enjoyable piece here.

It just falls outside the standards a bit on the level of interpretation and development in the arrangement as well as the lack of clarity in the mixing. Would love to hear this developed a bit more in the second half and properly mixed throughout. It's not far from the mark, but the issues gauged against our specific standards add up.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Liontamer

• 3 weeks later...

There are some mixing issues that need to be resolved overall, and I think sidechaining the big drums would be a good start, so they still feel punchy, but have the backing foundation they need.

I wasn't a fan of the fakey string lead, it was pretty exposed and the sequencing had some care put into it, but the sample is just not cutting it. Solo string instruments are really really hard to get sounding good sequenced. I think my best suggestion here is to use a different instrument.

Arrangementwise I liked the addition of the powerful drums, but I think making the patterns less repetitive overall would improve things. There is some good stuff going on, but it needs more polish. I'd like to hear a resub.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or does just feel like a very straightforward sound upgrade?

I'm sorry, but I don't really feel like this is achieving that big powerful sound you're looking for. There's very little happening in the low-range and the whole soundscape is very sparse. I don't really hear a lot of personalization to the arrangement either, aside from some awkward timing changes to the melody where it feels like things are happening a 16th note earlier than they should. You go through the main theme twice and call it a day.

I'm not as positive about this as other Js seem to be. This needs major reworking before even considering a resub. Dig into the source tunes, do some more elaborate part-writing, and bring more diversity to your soundscape.

NO