Needing some other sources to get started on Jazz

I'd also suggest getting a real book for learning tunes along with the Levine books already mentioned. Also, listen to tons of different jazz albums from different eras; 30's swing, 40's bebop etc. No book isn't going to teach you jazz so better get your Spotify fired up :razz:. I think there's an "essential listening" at the end of the Jazz Theory Book so that's a good way to start.

I've been working through The Jazz Theory Book -- as mentioned by pretty much everyone else -- for a little while, and it's really solid so far.

I've got The Jazz Piano Book, some Aebersold book on jazz ear training, The Real Book, a Berklee book on jazz piano voicings, and uhhh.. some other book on the way for x-mas. I'll let you know what I think of those once I've sat down with them for a while.

In the meantime, spend some time working on 7th chords (major, minor, dominant, half-diminished, fully diminished, and melodic minor), common progressions (ii-V-I, ii-V, V-I, V of V, I-vi-ii-V, etc.), and all the modes. Improvise, too. Do everything in every key. Jazz is hard D:

Edited by ectogemia

In the meantime, spend some time working on 7th chords (major, minor, dominant, diminished, half-diminished, fully diminished, and harmonic minor), common progressions (ii-V-I, ii-V, V-I, V of V, I-vi-ii-V, etc.), and all the modes. Improvise, too. Do everything in every key. Jazz is hard D:

Hah! Yeah, I've been learning that as I've been reading another book that I got from my local library, Intro To Jazz Piano, by Mark Harrison. The book is fairly short, and it has a cd with practice performances so you can play along and stuff. It'll be a nice winter break project as I attempt to juggle other things as well.

Thanks for all the feedback guy, I definitely appreciate it! Keep em comin if you have anymore suggestions!

In the meantime, spend some time working on 7th chords (major, minor, dominant, diminished, half-diminished, fully diminished, and harmonic minor), common progressions (ii-V-I, ii-V, V-I, V of V, I-vi-ii-V, etc.), and all the modes. Improvise, too. Do everything in every key. Jazz is hard D:

...Those are common? To people who have learned jazz formally, maybe, but not me. I just go by ear, and I've gotten this before (listen closely to what chords I'm using. Nearly 80% of the song is jazz chords), so formally learning it isn't the only way, IMO. :lol: Some people don't learn by the books as easily as simply learning by ear, so my suggestion is that you can alternatively just try learning by ear if books don't work with you.

Just play something on a MIDI keyboard (or listen to a jazz song), assuming you have one, and when you hear a chord you like, try figuring out what notes are in that chord and how they're arranged (intervals from each other, up or down). Even a check as simple as "how many half steps higher is this note from the one just below this?" can help you envision chords in your mind more easily--based on common interval differences that become passive knowledge--once you get used to the process. i.e. "This note is two half steps above this one, but is five half steps below this one, so it may resolve where the lowest note goes down a half step since two half steps by themselves will clash." If you try learning chords by ear for long enough, eventually you'll be able to write the sound of specific chord progressions (or the actual chords, if you are well-pitched and you have the first note) in your head and then write it out by ear. You may even gain the ability to predict a bass line, like I do (acapella) to random songs I've never heard before. Makes me want to go back to high school just to take jazz choir again, 'cause that's the main reason for why I could do that with bass lines.

Edited by timaeus222

Aside from studying up using the resources others mentioned, another good way is...

Play Jazz. Find some venues in your city that play jazz music and meet the musicians and try jamming with them if they have open jam night kinda deals. Get some sheet music of some Jazz compositions, play and analyze the hell out of them. I learned country music that way...and I don't even like country that much.

Also learn about modal composition if you don't already know about it and want to do some Miles Davis kinda stuff. Though the definitions have kinda changed over the years, it's really not complicated - music that uses a mode for harmonic framework instead of chord progressions. So like, holding down a drone and playing the phrygian mode over it type of deal. Some players will tell you "play a different mode over each chord" which is generally a bad idea and isn't really modal.