Palpable

Very unusual style and usage of source - palp

Remix:

Remixer Name: Brent Wollman

UserID: 41181

Game arranged: Donkey Kong Country

Name of arrangement: Banish

Individual songs arranged: Aquatic Ambiance

I was shooting for a gigantic ethereal kind of sound. Not sure what else to say… Source usage is pretty straight forward

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The most clear usage of the source would be 41.5-1:18 & 2:57-3:27 with the melody in play. But :00-:41 and much of 1:24-2:22 ended up referring to the note patterns of the pads in the original, for example focusing on the note patterns of the pad from :45-:58 of the source. So while I would have preferred the source usage to be less cerebral and more about the melody, the overall usage was there enough for me.

The arrangement certainly had a murky, dark quality, all in a successful way, so props for the unorthodox approach.

Why so buzzy? That was probably the main issue I had with this, since there were grating/buzzing qualities to this that didn't need to be as abrasive. It might put some Js off entirely, I dunno, but I can look past it. It's obviously stylistic as opposed to poor production, and one can generally tell the difference. I'm on board.

YES

I definitely agree with larry about the buzzing, those frequencies could have been toned down a good deal with no real change to the overall mood. It just sounds like a lot of clipping to me. It probably was a conscious decisoon, but that doesn't mean it necessarily is working out.

The approach was pretty good, but most of the song just coasts on the two chords, which the progression is pretty common, making it feel more generic. The melody treatment, when present was pretty nice and personalized a bit, but it was a pretty small part of the song.

I am fine with the production style though I feel it's sub-optimal, but the song focusing on a common two chord progression for a large chunk of time makes me feel like there is not enough source that is dominant. I think adding some more in would help this.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

Dem piercing frequencies! Buzzing and resonance... stylistic choice but needs to be done very carefully to avoid hitting the "ouch" territory. Please tone that down.

I like this arrangement, it is an interesting interpretation to be sure. Just as the track is ending, my mind is ready for an epic drop and a long section with intense drums and wild solos. Song could easily be double the length and never lose focus. Wow, would that be cool. This isn't necessary of course, and is just an opinion.

Please eq the harshest frequencies down, at least.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Tricky call. Cerebral is the right word for this, as the melodies are not in play that often and a lot of the source usage is implied by the chords. The chord progression of the original is pretty simple so by always changing the last chord, you do lose a little bit of that tenuous link. If the chord right before it had also been changed, I'd say no way; as is, it teeters on the edge.

Unlike Brent's other sub that I just judged, the distortion is a little more than I think sounds good. It sounds grating but doesn't add much towards sounding artistic. In conjunction with arrangement issues, I'm gonna go NO. It's close but doesn't quite get there for me.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Wow, very interesting mix here. It sounds a bit in the style of Daft Punk's Tron:L soundtrack, but with a much more dirty, distorted sound. I can dig what you're going for here.

I'm finding myself nodding at Palp's source analysis. I think what's there skirts what's acceptable since a good portion is relying on a modified chord progression.

At the very least, the distortion/harsh freqs need to be toned back a bit, and then perhaps some (not a lot) more source connection would seal the deal.

NO resubmit, please