*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog (GG) 'Get Scrapped'

Palpable

i think a little modulation on those opening 8th notes would make the intro a bit more compelling. Once they weren't the focal point and the cool bassy synth came in and took all the attention, it wasn't as noticeable, and the break was well done. SOunded like a bit of a breakdown repeat, but it developed differently the second time, which is nice.

Throughout the arrangement is solid and the production is really nice, though more modulation and velocities in your main melodies would really kick this song to the next level. The synths chosen fit together great and have a lot of character, and the level of polish is pretty high. The ending felt a bit like a copout, but beyond that, I was definitely feeling this assured and rocking mix. Nice work.

yes

• 1 month later...

This track is VERY well mixed. Yeah, that bassy synth is dynamite. The drums ROCK and the sidechaining is perfect.

The writing is leaving me flat. The writing is pretty much verbatim to the source which is generally fine... but I'm finding there are large sections that are quite empty and bland and often repetitive, for example 0:44-0:55 is super empty except for the saw, and then that saw writing is identical all the way through the buildup until 1:06. (That lead that comes next is unique, I can't say that I've heard a lead sound detune like that before, and it isn't doing much for me but that's an opinion.) Then from 1:50-2:12, wow that section is sparse, I am just sitting here waiting for it to be over. Then at 2:12, you've got some cool bass synth stuff happening (and I love the GO!s), but the same lead saw writing all the way to 2:55. At 2:55, another sparse breakdown, with that SAME writing again, all the way to 3:17. Then the detuned lead again at 3:42. And yeah the ending is a bit of a copout, it just... ends.

I think this has huge potential and the mixing is excellent. For me it just needs a bit more personalization and expansion of the melodies and a bit more interest in the breakdown sections to keep my attention.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Nice energy intro buildup. Synths are a mixed bag for me at this point. Despite the filter automation, the initial 1/8 note repeating synth is pretty bland sounding. Breakdown to the saw around :45 sounded more like a cheesy trance dropoff than a stark prelude to the coming melody line. On the other hand, the backing chip chord stabs and wubble bass are pretty nice.

Beat is hot when it arrives at 1:06. This section is cool and plenty intense, but it feels like somethings missing or off. I think a big part of it is that bassline is static on the same note and isn't supporting the melody line. If you disagree with that, at the very least, I really felt like the second iteration of the melody at 1:30 could've used more padding or something to fully realize the potential energy/excitment from this part. Don't get me wrong, this part is pretty strong, but if you simply move the bassline/chords to a nice progression to support the melody line it'd make a big difference.

Like chimp said, this mix is suffering from empty sections and repetition. I'd argue this is a function of not quite developing a mix far enough, rather than an issue with writing per se. By 3:00 we've heard this saw lead melody verbatum quite a few times already and it's getting stale. 3:45 is copy-pasta from earlier. I'll also echo Kristina that the ending was very abrupt and pretty ineffective (again, a symptom of underdevelopment).

Sorry if this sounds overly harsh. This really is one of my main genres, so I feel like I have a lot to say in it's regards. Don't get me wrong, though. You've got a very solid base here and I feel like this mix is very close to being over the bar. I'd recommend you take a little extra time in developing empty sections, giving it a proper ending, and look into making your main melody section even stronger with some chord work. Great stuff here, just work on it a bit and bring it back quick!

NO resubmit, please

I think Chimpazilla has hit this one on the head. Production and sound design overall are really good, definitely the most appealing aspect of the track. Good transitions, good individual sections, but a lot of repetition. Honestly, what's here is good enough that it's almost a pass anyway. If I jump to random points in the song, it's hard to say NO to this. But it just doesn't have enough to it to hold my interest more than a full listen. This is an extremely good candidate for resubmitting, and I would love to see a version where there is a little more variety with what is going on.

NO (resubmit)