OCR02936 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 'A Different Kind of Peace'

Palpable

Hi there,

Remixer Name: Kadmium

User ID: 5039

Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country

Name of arrangement: A Different Kind of Peace

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Aquatic Ambience

This is my remix of Aquatic Ambience, nominally in the style of Hans Zimmer / Remote Control Productions. I've been going a bit mad composing for something else and needed a break. I've been listening to the Man of Steel soundtrack a lot recently and have always been fond of Zimmer's style. An OC Remix email reminded me of Aquatic Ambience, so I thought I'd try my hand at a remix of that, in this style. This is what came out of it. I hope that you enjoy it.

Yours,

Jesse Higginson

(Kadmium)

Edited by djpretzel

This is a pretty short track, but has a great build for its 2:34 duration, and offers something new for this done-to-death VGM song. Both the quiet Darth Vader sections and the booming Hans Zimmer choruses are well-executed, though the segues between the two were abrupt and could have been foreshadowed a little more. I also think there's a slight rigidity issue with the lead instruments in the choruses, but it's a nitpick. Great stuff from Jesse!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pretty short track, but has a great build for its 2:34 duration, and offers something new for this done-to-death VGM song. Both the quiet Darth Vader sections and the booming Hans Zimmer choruses are well-executed, though the segues between the two were abrupt and could have been foreshadowed a little more. I also think there's a slight rigidity issue with the lead instruments in the choruses, but it's a nitpick. Great stuff from Jesse!

YES

ps. i just copy/pasted Vinnie's vote. Says it all.

JK, i do think a little further development would have been nice, maybe with a booming halftime feel with the main melody in the brass, though I am not sure the samples would support that style and still sound as solid. Overall very good!

Definitely a unique take on this source, with some great dynamics. I agree the louder portions could have been signaled a bit better, also I wish there was a little more development, maybe some soloing or just maybe one more section, at 2:34 for how epic this is it feels too short.

Some of the string articulations feel a bit unnatural, like the staccato notes at 1:04, they are quite prominent there and they are very rigidly quantized with no volume or timing variation. Also the lead line beginning at 1:43 would be improved with a more legato sound, I would recommend layering patches so the beginnings of phrases have a nice bite and attack, and the rest of the line is pure legato.

Overall though, nicely executed cinematic Darth Vadery piece.

YES