"Boss in a Music Box" FF9 Boss Battle remix

DarkDjinn

Kind of a symphonic remix of the Final Fantasy 9 boss battle theme. This is part of a larger remix that I'm doing in two parts with the intention of putting them together later, and features a music box. This is the kind of introduction to the whole thing and it's my first attempt at using nothing but software instruments - I usually like to let my compositions be supported by my guitar playing but I'm determined not to do that this time.

I would appreciate any comments, mostly regarding tips to make software instruments sound more realistic. Almost the entire thing was made with Miroslav Philharmonik, and a couple of tracks were done with SampleTank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8es1uhsw2xc0vj/FF9%20Boss%20Music%20Box.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this since I got no comments.

I'm really looking to improve my use of software instruments. Usually my tunes are carried by my guitar playing but I want to be able to complete a song without putting a guitar in it.

Philharmonik doesn't seem to be an EXTREMELY good VST. I hope to get East West Hollywood (insert orchestral section here) but I really want to get more practice with what I have before I drop a couple grand on software.

Not talking production values really, but does anyone have any pointers on how to make software instruments sound more realistic?

I really like how the music box sounds. :)

I've never done orchestral stuff, and I know nothing about the merits of different orchestra VSTs, but I would guess you can probably get a lot more realistic sound through better sequencing - so don't shell out that cash just yet.. I hope you get some feedback with actual relevant experience behind it. You could try to PM ReMixers who do orchestral stuff for tips!

--Eino

Ooo, FF9 Boss remix, eh? I did an arrangement of this one some time ago (though you won't hear it until the FF9 album comes out :nicework:), so it'll be interesting to hear another take on it... To be honest, though, I don't hear the source in this at all, so I'm guessing you're building up to it.

Okay, orchestral instruments and how to use them (since you're asking) - yes, there are ways to make them sound more human, and it mostly revolve around understanding how the instrument works, what it's natural ranges are, how someone would accent notes & why, etc.. I'm afraid there is no short answer as to how to get the most out of an orchestral patch, but it's really about how an instrument would actually sound in a given situation, then using attack, release, volume and note placement in order to simulate that sound. For an example, I personally know when a violin section moves into a chord they tend to go from silence to full sound, but when they change notes there is no such swell, so I would personally raise the volume from nothing to the full sound, then leave the full sound while changing notes. If the sample is odd and has too strong of an accent (like it hits the next note) I could have about a 0.25s release and a 0.25 attack on the note, blending the change of notes more seemlessly (and more importantly, ridding myself of the attack).

It's tricks like this that really help rid oneself of the mechanical feel of instruments on a DAW. Using a decent sounding reverb consistently for your instruments also help you make the instruments sound real, as well, so be sure to dabble in creating a good reverb sound for your orchestra. I hope some of this advice helps!

Thanks for the tips, Gario. I will experiment with that kind of stuff. I play guitar and trumpet, and I was in the band in high school but that was about 8 years ago, and I haven't had any more music training since then. My point is, I definitely need to listen and see how different instruments sound individually and together, then I can hopefully recreate them like you were saying.

I'll look for attack and release controls in Philharmonik. I didn't see that stuff yesterday but I sometimes miss very obvious things.

And this part of the remix starts from 0:17 in the source track if you check it out here:

. I changed the time signature because I imagined the bigger part of the remix being kind of a waltz. It may end up not being a good idea, they can't all be :)

Thanks again!