OCR02981 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version 'Infernal'

Palpable

Hi

Remixer: Brandon Strader

Game: Pokemon Red/Blue

Composer: Junichi Masuda

Source:

Title: Infernal

This is another doom metal remix, this time closer to funeral doom; and again, no vocals. Recording this was an amazing experience. Fresh strings, louder amplifier, and the production all came together so that it sounded heavy as heck which is really the appeal to a large portion of the mix. There's two halves, the first half (featured on your Eevee EP as "Ember") is the build up, gaining tension and initiating the atmosphere; the part immediately after at 3:03 begins shifting to the second half with an atmospheric bit that builds tension. Conflict emerges at 4:05 leading into dual guitar harmonies again (they previously appeared at 1:10). The part at 5:23 is very heavy and gives a sense of "battle" while 5:58 slows the tempo slightly and is more "stand-offish". The violin and guitar lead at 6:20 expresses hopelessness while 6:36 is the musical representation of desolation.

This is not your typical micro-music and it demands attention to both the heaviness AND the atmosphere, both of which I feel are very effective. I disagree that the song is too long or tries to make too much from too little; quite frankly, it could have been longer. It also could have had vocals. I feel that fans of Pokemon and Lavender Town will dig this, and fans of doom metal will especially appreciate this mix. I realize it's not a particularly common style sent to OCR, but I've always appreciated how OCR accepts and doesn't discriminate against any particular genre or style (or live instruments or technomanga, don't fuck around.)

In conclusion... please give this the attention it deserves. It builds an atmosphere you need to commit to, and is constantly evolving moving through unique variations. No copy/paste. Not to mention Killer Studio Chops, I worked as hard as anyone. :)

Thanks

• 2 months later...

The track was 7:37-long, so I needed at least 228.5 seconds' worth of overt source usage during the track for the pass on that level.

:00-1:14, 1:27.5-1:44.5-2:01.5, 2:19.5-2:37.5, 2:46.5-2:55.5, 3:03.5-4:04.5, 5:59-6:37.5 = 244.5 seconds or 53.5%

There was a lot more subtle stuff going on as well that would add some more source usage in there on some level, but there wasn't a need to dig deeper.

Nice work, per the usual from Brandon. I could definitely go for hearing Brandon attempt another extended rendition of a minimalist theme, because he really delivered excellence here. This one's got a drone-ish approach, and I'm enjoying the great performances, great energy, and, most importantly, a very strong, creative arrangement. Brandon succeeded giving "Lavender Town" a dark energy while keeping the ideas and soundscape evolving the entire way.

YES

I would have preferred the dark version. This is too light and fluffy. I feel uplifted after listening to this. You couldn't have added some low notes?

This really could have used some cowbell. I kept waiting for the technomanga part. I'm not gonna fuck around though. Killer Studio Chops indeed.

This track is excellent. And I judged as hard as anyone.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

OMG Chimpazilla dropped an F-bomb! What is this world coming to? :-P

Anyways, yeah, I'm gonna concur with the above--this is a very well-done mix. Never gets boring, even with the length and sparse source. I think, if vocals were to be added, they'd have to be some sort of impassioned spoken-word-ish version of some of the internet creepypasta that's floating around.

As it stands, though, the music tells a good story without a single vocal note in there. Production is clean and instrumental parts are good--my only nitpick is that the drums are occasionally a bit unrealistic in terms of timing (there's a spot around the 2-minute mark where several hats of the same velocity hit at EXACTLY the same time as the kick does), but that's minor.

Nicely done with this source, Brandon.

YES

Good work here from Brandon. Clear source connections and nice arrangement.

Not a ton to add to what's already been said, but I will say I felt like the strings seem to get marginalized a bit too much by the heavy guitar work, so I'd like to hear them come out a bit further or the guitars toned back just a bit.

Yep, dark, sometimes brooding. Hearing the source, I can def tell why you took it in this direction.

YES