*NO* Section Z 'Shootin' Both Ways'

djpretzel

First off, here's the link for the song:

I guess I'll just do this email like a form in your guidelines:

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name: Main Finger (already in your system, but some info has changed)

Your real name: Jesse Gregory

Your email address: mainfinger@gmail.comNOSPAM

Your website: http://www.soundclick.com/mainfinger

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Section Z

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Stage 1

Name of ReMix: Shootin' Both Ways

System: NES

Copyright: Capcom

Composer: Capcom Sound Team

So, I havn't attempted to post anything for quite a few years now, but I figure I'll give it a go. This is kind of in a style reminiscent of crystal method or prodigy. I had originally started this out as an original composition but it ended up sounding so much like section z (as pointed out by my roommate) that it became a section z remix. As far as production quality I'd have to say it is my best to date. Especially on the drums, those were a lot of fun as making beats is about my favorite thing to do. It made me pretty happy when a friend told me he could actually see this song as being on a commercially sold cd. Anyway, I hope you guys like it enough to put it on the site. Either way, you guys have a great community of very talented people here and I love to hear the results of their creativity. Goodbye!

-Jesse "Main Finger" Gregory

Straight away we're hit with a pretty fast-paced fake guitar. Beats are pretty good, but so far things sound pretty flat and poor-quality. The synth lead is dull and buried behind the compression of the mix as far as I can tell. This piece is really lacking in the higher frequencies unfortunately. If it was a really grunge piece, that wouldn't be too bad, but it just seems to be beats + tacky synth lead and bass.

You need to be a lot more creative with the way you arrange the lead and in your choices for the sounds/instrumentation in the mix. This unfortunately flies well below the line for both those areas. Loopy beats aren't enough to save this one.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/sectionz.zip - Track 25

Yeah, some pretty fake guitar opening things up here. Voice stuff coming in at :13 sounds so lo-fi and loops for way way way too long. Everything already sounds really lossy. Nonetheless, some decent concept for your intro based off the intro of the source tune.

Source melody finally comes in at :54 working in tandem with the lil' fluttery counterpoint or whatever you'd call that second part of the source.

Synth design is way too plain. Beatwork is coo in principle, but needs more power, plus it's repetitive/recycled like a motherfucker.

Overall, there really aren't too many things going on at once to create a genuinely complex piece of music. As such the piece feels really underwhelming, like there's a lot of untapped potential in both the sound choices, and especially the arrangement, which didn't really develop much over the course of the 3 minutes. Cool ideas so far, but they could really be taken to another level IMO, Jesse. I'll be keeping this, as I like what you had in place so far. Perhaps keep working on it.

NO

The lead is really lo-fi and buried under all the reverb. The percussion may as well be a prefabricated drumloop; it's got this kind of inconsistent sound when compared to the rest of the mix.

The arpeggiating synth in the back never changes and really lacks any kind of definition; it ends up sounding like a drone.

Arrangement is pretty repetitive too. Needs more variation throughout.

NO