Help Me Acoustically Evaluate This Room

Hi Guys,

We're thinking of moving into a house, and one of the deciding factors is whether or not I can put a studio in it. The room in this house seems awesome; it's a workshop above the garage that's on its way to being finished.

The picture is here.

I'm looking to draw on the acoustic mastery of the people here - will this room cause me problems from a mixing and production standpoint? This may literally swing us one way or another on this house. I have a vocal booth that is soundproof, so my voiceovers are not an issue. But for mixing and producing music on a pair of monitors, is this room treatable for good acoustics or does the slanted ceiling make for a very bad situation for me?

Thanks!

I think it'll be okay if the studio is primarily against the middle of the back wall. The slanted ceiling may blur the early reflections a bit on the far left and right ends. Also, based on the room angle, there may be very slightly inconsistent reverberations (think of reflections inside a rectangular prism on its face versus a cube on its vertex, if they start essentially horizontally. This is only a theory though).

Edited by timaeus222

Holy fucking shit man. Thatis totally treatable IMO and probably a BIG advantage. I'd totally set a big drums kit there and exploit this type of construction. You'll have you're own sound. You'll treat the key places and profit the awesome wooden room. You could try to contact Auralex for their input (and it's free). They'll send you a suggestion of what to buy and where to place their stuff.

It really comes down to the dimensions of the space. Have you done some basic testing to find the most prominent reflection points? Are you planning to insulate and/or put up sheetrock?

If the dimensions of the room allow for a good amount of space for the sound to flow around in, there's absolutely no reason you can't turn that into a great studio. The major thing you want to avoid is not having enough room for speaker placement. If the sound coming from your speakers bounces back at about 20-30ms or faster, you'll have definitely imaging problems that cant be solved by acoustic treatment.

The angled ceiling can be a plus if it's high enough and if you use it correctly (acoustic paneling and speaker placement are important here too). But yeah it really comes down to the size. Even if the room feel big now, try to imagine it with a good deal of gear bulking everything up. If that gives you a claustrophobic feeling then it's probably not big enough.

If the ceiling in there gives you anywhere between 8-12 feet, you're generally good.

Thanks guys. I don't have plans for the room yet because I haven't bought the house; what I was mostly worried about was the vaulted ceiling. It appears to peak at about 10 feet or so, judging by the size of the bicycles in the back, but I'll be seeing the house this week.

(That's right I haven't seen the place yet; only my wife has and she came home gushing like a girl talking about her fairy castle, so I'm obligated to go see it)

• 3 weeks later...