o Your ReMixer name: OA

o Your real name: Andrew Luers

o Your email address: Andrew@oceansend.com

o Your website: http://www.oceansend.com

o Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 13647

* ReMix Info

o Name of game(s) ReMixed: Lufia 2

o Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Battle 1

o Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site: http://www.ocremix.org/game/id/157/

o Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: The original song has always been one of my favorite songs from a game; I remember when Lufia 2 first came out and I left a battle sitting for several hours while I played along on my guitar. I think this is a decent tribute to back then, and I hope maybe a few others can hear this song for the first time and be inspired as well.

Ah, that's the guitar tone I'm talking about! I don't know how one goes about producing it, but it's cool. Anyway, moving on to the actual remix itself..

Clipping! Watch your volume levels, man. I'm hearing some audible clipping and heavy compression. Bring everything down like 16db, put a hard limiter on top, and then slowly bring up the levels to max 'em out as desired. Right now, the bass is very boxy and it sounds like the bass guitar plus the bass drum plus the low end of the guitar is causing problems. If I were you, I'd cut out the lows a bit from the guitar and boost the mid-highs. I'd also maybe pick some different samples for the drums (I'm assuming they're sampled, forgive me if I'm wrong) - the kick is just really muddy. Try one that's a little 'higher' if you know what I mean, less resonant. Bring the snare a bit closer too, it's far back.

Arrangement-wise, there's some interpretive value here. That's cool, but keep building up on the original stuff. Don't be afraid to stray from the source song as long as you can mantain a logical (or at the very least, musical) connection to it. Variations and additions are what keeps a ReMix interesting. What you have here is definitely not bad, but the stuff that you have from the battle theme is pretty much a direct cover. Then, you had that great solo section in the middle. More of that, please! We love to hear personalization and a unique style. It's disappointing to hear these good arrangement ideas you have, then it just goes back to the straight-up melody of the original again.

Finally, I do have a bit of a beef with the synths. They're sort of irritating and don't have a lot of movement. Take out some of the highs a little bit, put a bit of reverb + delay maybe so that they stand out more without grating on the ear, and then try using modulation + filter automation so that on sustained notes they don't just sit on the exact same pitch or timbre. Keep working on the synth patches and tweaking them.

Not bad overall, the clipping issues aside. I'd like to see more work done on this.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ed2 - "Battle #1" (ed2-108.spc)

Rather sad when even I can identify clipping. Soft clipping, I'll never be able to call out, but this kind of stuff, yeesh. You're clippin' 'n cruddin' right out of the gate. No sense of judiciousness in the sound until :25, but that was a welcome change of pace once things at least simmered down a bit. Of course, clip-clip-clip came back later, so it wasn't a total win.

Arrangement was pretty conservative until we got the guitar wank at 1:08. Tone could have been meatier, and the performance more polished, but it's not bad.

The main thing though is that the arrangement otherwise isn't very interpretive/creative. You did have some good supplementary ideas like the synths coming in at 1:53 to add some other dimension there, but they were pretty buried in the song and thereby didn't do much to enhance it or stand out.

Glad we had some new ideas at 2:15 as the drum pattern up until then was dragging out for too long. It wasn't very creative in the first place. Damn, came back at 2:38. Play around more with the instrumentation and arrangement ideas you had from 2:15-2:38 to break up the monotony for longer.

Decent stuff on the rock cover route, but it needs more creativity beyond the additions you've made. If you're sticking with the verbatim structure and tempo, you really have to do something more with the supporting instrumentation, mainly the drums, to creatively compensate for that. Also tone the levels down and balance out the sound more. Go for some additional interpretation beyond those other criticisms and you'd be in much better shape. I look forward to hearing your future work.

NO

This needs to rock out EVEN MORE! Please work on rocking out. Sophisticate your percussion a bit more; it's a bit "boomp chak!" at the moment. Cooler fills will help. They also sound kind of far in the back. Kick and snare could be cleaner.

Oh, also, clipping. :(

Andy and Larry pretty much covered everything. I'm in agreement with them.

NO plz work on and resub :D