*NO* Super Mario Land 2 'Wario vs. Mario'

Chimpazilla

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: George Diamond

Your real name: George Diamond

Your email address:

Your website:http://www.youtube.com/user/GeorgePlastiq , https://soundcloud.com/george-diam , https://www.facebook.com/george.diam

Your userid (number, not name): 52726

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario Land 2 , Six Golden Coins

Name of arrangement: Wario vs Mario

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Wario vs Mario

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site):

Game composer: Totaka Kazumi , System: Gameboy (Original) Year:1992 Publisher: Nintendo

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Your own comments about the mix:

Super Mario Land 2 Music is pretty inspiring all by itself. It's amazing how Totaka Kazumi managed to capture this Jazzy-Funky-Latin feeling only by using the gameboy's chiptune.The same feeling inspired me to Remix this song!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

Ok so this is an interesting case study! I paneled this track one day because the production sounded good and I loved the Big Band treatment of this source. I did find it a bit empty (long stretches with no leadwork), mechanical, and repetitive, but generally groovy. I didn't compare it too closely to the source the day I paneled it (bad girl, I know). Upon listening to it again just now, it occurred to me that this mix sounded like it would work perfectly in an actual Wario game. Too perfectly. Huh, better compare to source.

The mix sounded so amazingly close to the source tune that I did my neat little trick of laying both tracks together in my daw. Here is the result of that experiment:

edit: mp3 removed

So yeah, as good as this sounds production-wise, and as much as I love the Big Band genre, it is basically a midi-rip. At 1:55, I had to cut the source and move it backwards by about 3 seconds, but it picked right up from there. At 2:08, the source ends, but the remix continues on, using that last section of source all the way to the faux-end. There is a small amount of decent guitar soloing and bass/drums from 2:12 to 2:43. Too bad there couldn't have been more of that. Then at 2:49, there is a very odd final ending, which is totally detached and really doesn't need to be there.

NO NO NO

Or, does this count as an acceptable "genre change" reinterpretation? Discuss. (even if so, I'm a NO due to the emptiness, mechanical sequencing and repetitiveness)

Edited by Chimpazilla

Man, this is a shame. Really enjoying the genre conversion and the drumwork is really nicely done. But, yeah, as illustrated in Kristina's audio layering, this mix follows the original track near-verbatum. There are additional parts thrown in here and there, creative drum additions, etc., but as a whole, this is far more in cover territory than what OCR is about. To quote the standards:

4. Arrangement

1. Arrangements in any genre of music (e.g. techno, jazz, rock, classical) are acceptable, so long as the genre itself does not conflict with any other arrangement criteria.

2. Your arrangement must be substantial and original.

Submissions must be different enough from the source material to clearly illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. Acceptable arrangement often involves more than one of the following techniques:

Modifying the genre, chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms, dynamics, tempo, or overall composition of the source material

Adding original solos, transitions, harmonies, counter-melodies, lyrics, or vocals to the source material

Taking the original game audio and simply adding drum loops or using an existing MIDI file and assigning new instruments does not qualify as substantial or original arrangement.

(emphasis mine)

This is pretty darn close to MIDI rip + drums. As cool as it is, and as well produced, it's not gonna fly here :(

NO

Yep, the timing's basically the same. Besides some embellishments here and there, it's just the source tune adapted for a new set of instruments. The brass was also lacking, but that's typical of faux brass. in any case, you need more interpretation beyond swapping in new instruments. This is a cool cover, but a violation of our arrangement standards.

NO (override)