Professional Remixing

Hi OCR, recently I've been trying to do my first remix.

I started listening a track and I tried to imagine what I would do with it but the only thing I could think about was "hell, this is perfect as it is ; why would I remix it ?"

So I took another track, and another and another...

Then I understood that "remix" doesn't mean "improve", it's more of a personnal interpretation of the tune. But still I had no idea what to do with my songs :/

That's why I decided to listen to...professional remixing . There are tons of game which remix their own tunes and I think it could be a great source of inspiration for all of us.

Here are the ones I found and listened (I'm afraid it's not allowed to link the official mp3s):

Popolocrois Monogatari

Pietro's Journey <=> Flight Of The Flyer Yacht <=> The Beginning Of An Adventure (PM 2)

Wild ARMs

Into The Wilderness <=> You'll never be alone no matter where you go (WA2) <=> Advanced Third Whistle Version(WA3) <=> The 4tth Detonator (WA4)

Yoshi's Story

Nearly the whole soundtrack

Please, tell me some more :)

I'll update the list ^^

Halo 1 and Halo 2

Street Fighter 2 till SSF2T -> SF3

Street Fighter Alpha (all series)

Wipeout 2 has a remix of "Message" from Wipeout 1 on it (Windows Version).

Should I mention the Beatmania and Dance Dance Revolution games? Yeah I probably should.

Final Fatasy is also the spawn of remixes (FF8 had parts copied of FF7, FF9 had parts of FF6 till FF8)

Speaking of FF, Castlevania also recycles 80% of their tunes

Super Metroid -> Metroid Prime

FF Adventure (Seiken Densetsu) -> Sword of Mana (Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu)

Zelda Series -> no comment

Sonic Adventure - Twinkle Part Racing has the same theme as Sonic (some tunes are remixed in later games, too)

Metal Gear - > oh yeah, the more games, the more themes are "remixed" and "reused"

Contra Shattered Soldier (Shin Contra) -> Used themes from all earlier games. Especially Contra 3 and Contra Alien Rebels

I guess this should cover "some" stuff. Just listen into sequels or remakes of games (Pokemon for example) and you have your "professional remixes".

Unless you mean professional released CDs, then I know some, too:

Parasite Eve Remixes - DnB and Techno/Industrial remixes of the PE OST

Castlevania Remixes - This is the only CD "I" call remix CD. The tracks are so messed up that you can barely recognise them, but you still know it'S "Castlevania"

Zelda - Ocarina of TIme Orchestrated - no comments

Chrono Trigger - Original Sound Version vs. Brink of Time (also no comment)

Just to mention a few.

Oh yeah:

Xenogears - Creid

Valkyrie Profile - Arranged Album and Live

Star Ocean - Live

Suikoden Celtic Collection

Final Fantasy - Symphonic Suite and Best of 1987-1994, or one of those many Piano version CDs

Tales of Phantasia SNES vs Playstation version (Opening)

The Gradius Soundtracks

Panzer Dragoon - Sega Saturn and PC version (also ORTA)

Chrono Cross - Complete Remake of the Radical Dreamers OST

F-Zero GX - uses part of the SNES OST, but upmixed

Katamari Damacy - used in "We Love Katamari" a remix by fans as opening

Command and Conquer: Red Alert - The Hell March for example was "redone" in C&C:RA2

Zone ofthe Enders 2 (Anubis) - Beyond the Bounds is on this CD as two different versions, original and as remake from Mitsuto Suzuki

Metal Gear Solid 3 - "Snake Eater Opening" as "Spy Version" and as "Abstract Camouflage" version

The Black Mages - CD 1 and 2 are professional reinterpretations of several Final Fantasy Games

Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Soundtrack - Remake with 70% of the tunes from the old videogame FF7 (especially One Winged Angel)

Kingdom Hearts 1, Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 2 - the main theme was remixed bei Hikaru Utada and the music artists from the games

Do I know more? Probably...