chimpazilla@outlook.com

http://soundcloud.com/chimpazilla

Game arranged: Final Fantasy IV

Name of arrangement: "Edward Zorn Gets A Haircut"

Name of songs arranged: Edward's theme FF4 vs. Zorn & Thorn's theme from FF9

Edward's theme:

Zorn & Thorn's theme:

Comments:

Hey guyzzz! Here is my round 4 entry from the recent Final Fantasy Crystal Clash compo. It is a blend of "Edward's theme" from FF4 and "Zorn & Thorn" theme from FF9. My mix is titled "Edward Zorn Gets a Haircut." Listen to it with the following warnings in mind:

1. This mix is seriously catchy. Be prepared to have it stuck in your head for quite awhile after you hear it. Hopefully this is a good thing, but consider yourself warned.

2. Yes, the voices are fake. The mix came into being because I started messing around with Omnisphere's "jazz voices" samples. (what better time than a compo to try things you've never done, right?) I'm sure they were never intended to be used as leads, but wow, that harmony! So yes, I am aware that the vocal samples are fake-sounding. Anyone who feels the need to point out to me that they are fake-sounding will receive a tomato to the face.

3. Anyone who says this mix is not seriously groovy despite the fakeness of the samples will likewise receive a tomato directly to the face. Don't say you weren't warned.

4. It's short, I know, I know. Shortest thing I've ever written. But do you really need more of it?

There is ONE real vocal sample in this mix. The final "yeah" was recorded by our own XPRTNovice. Thanks Joe!

tl;dr - so fake, many harmony, much yeah

Source usage:

Intro (0:00 to 0:07) is Zorn & Thorn

Main verse (0:20 to 0:47) is Edward

Chorus (0:47 to 1:14) is Edward. The trumpets in this section are playing the Zorn & Thorn theme, but in reverse order from the source.

Transition verse (1:14 to 1:26) is Zorn & Thorn

Final verse (1:28 to end) is Edward

Edited by Palpable
closed

1. Yes, totally agree.

2. Yes, fake-sounding and not trying to hide it.

3. Yes, groovy.

4. Yes, short.

Having a hard time putting a vote on this so I'd like the panel to put their thoughts down on it. My first thought was that the fake lead voice was a little too much (didn't have as big a problem with the bg voices) and that the piano was a little thin and stiff. Everything else sounded pretty much on point - liked the arrangement, liked the treatment of the sources, it was an inspired song. So, leaning no, but would like to hear some other opinions before making a decision.

Agreed with Vinnie with his concerns on the lead vocals. Also, the piano sounds extra unrealistic, and the dynamics are pretty flat for such a short piece due to the texture always having the same overall intensity.

Is that brass or strings for that part at :53? Either way the sample there didn't sound realistic either, though it wasn't a dealbreaker since it was just accenting things.

If you can't get the voice triggering to not sound so rigid, you can see if XPRTn00by would wanna provide more stuff. It sounds like a good WIP/sketch of an unfinished mix as far as mapping out the structure, but it ain't a contender yet. Needs more realism and dynamics FTW.

NO (resubmit)

You guys are poopy-heads with no sense of humor, also Larry you smell. Haha I'm not crushed if this goes no, I did it really quickly, compo-style, and I do realize how silly it is. Dang, this sat in the inbox so long, I forgot that I used the now very-outdated Doge meme in my writeup. :-P (ain't gonna be no resubmitting happening here, it'll just hang out on my Soundcloud)

This is a hard vote because I get what kristina is doing here, and any "updates" that could be made would defeat the point. Its suppose to sound exactly the way it is from what from I can tell, and I can appreciate that. Then AGAIN, making said updates could turn this into something thats still good for different reasons. For example, if you got someone like Brentalfloss to do a cover of this track, it would probably still be just as silly as this version, just with the added realism. So... mechanical sequencing is a problem here, the production could be a little cleaner, the arrangement is cool tho.

However, I can't see it on the front page. It sounds like the sort of thing that would have passed the panel some time ago, but not anymore. Its a nice little novelty track, but not right for OCR in its current form.

NO (resub)