OCR03102 - *YES* Sonic Chaos (GG) & Sonic the Hedgehog (GG) 'Smooth Dream'

Chimpazilla

Contact Information

ReMixer name: ladyWildfire, mr_n00b

userid: 11659

Submission Information

Name of games arranged: Sonic Chaos (Game Gear), Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear)

Name of arrangement: Smooth Dream

Name of individual songs arranged: Aqua Planet Zone, Scrap Brain Zone

Comments: This song is from Round 3 of the 2014 Sonic Zone Remix Compo. It's a special remix for me because it's the first time I've collaborated with one of my best friends from college. It's also one of the few remixes I've ever written that wasn't in a minor key. One of my favorite things about the remix is that it's somewhat like a duet between my voice and his guitar. I also enjoy the ending section when I remove most of the effects from the two lead instruments; it becomes a more intimate moment, just two friends jamming together. The original title was going to be "Variations on a Friendship", but that was from an earlier edition that wasn't as cohesive as this one.

Aqua Planet Zone

Scrap Brain Zone

Edited by Liontamer

• 1 month later...

I'm having a hard time hearing the source use here other than some Aqua Zone on the guitar. I don't hear Scrap Brain at all but someone who is more familiar with these sources may be able to show me where that is. So much easier when people send along their own source breakdown! (edit: thanks Larry, also I figured more of it out last night as I listened repeatedly in my mind while trying to sleep... haha!)

I like the sweet interplay between the guitar and vocals, neat idea, but it seems like the way they are mixed, both are competing to be the lead. Both guitar and vocals sit dead center together, except for the choruses in which the vocal is wide and reverby. I wonder how it would work if the vocals could be wide while the guitar is centered, and then vice versa, that might be cool.

It's a simple and upbeat track. The sequenced parts are simple and quantized. The drums don't do much after the groove has been established and their mixing is underwhelming. I do like the filtering automation though. The section from 1:30-2:30 sounds nice but seems to just be original. (edit: I figured it out, those four vocal notes are from the beginning of the Aqua source) The arrangement in general is fairly simplistic and isn't knocking my socks off. I feel like the conflicting lead mixing needs to be addressed. The ending is sort of unfinished, just a last guitar note and no resolution. All that said, I think the lead mixing fixed would do the job for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit 2/18/15: I have to admit that this track has been stuck in my head for two solid weeks, in a good way. Clearly it has enough source (the sources have also been stuck in my head). The arrangement has grown on me, and I've realized that the integration of the two themes is really quite good. I still maintain my issues I mentioned, primarily the conflicting of vocals and guitar as lead, but it is not bothering me as much anymore. I think this one needs to pass.

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

I'm going to go in direct opposition to Chimpazilla's determination here.

I actually really love this arrangement. It seems like you recognized the interplay between the two themes and rather than just make this a medley, utilized elements from both at the same time. This is actually really evident during the 1:30 to 2:30 section that Kris mentioned sounded entirely original. I can hear the melody from "Scrap Brain" in the vocals while the guitar is playing parts from "Aqua Planet." That is very, very cool. The end result is something that sounds very Katamari Damacy to me, and that's probably the best endorsement I can give it.

The production work is pretty great for the most part. I like all the sounds used, and everything is fairly well mixed. The final mastering is pretty safe, though; for a dancey track, neither the drums nor bass have much oomph to them. On the other hand, leveling and panning is well executed. It would definitely benefit from some multi-band compression.

It's easy to find small things to nitpick about in this, but as a whole, I really, really enjoy what you've done, and I think a lot of other people will, as well. And while this isn't standard fare when it comes to combining multiple sources, the way in which you've combined them has resulted in something wholly unique.

EDIT: I found myself going back to listen to this again even after I'd already made this post. I think that says a lot.

YES

Edited by Beatdrop

Man this is swimming in reverb. Not a bad thing though; it works for the track.

I'm with Dain; loving this arrangement. The atmosphere has this cool late summer vibe. Vocal loops are used a lot but there's so much evolution and variation that none of it ever gets old.

Love how you've combined the sources too. Lots of integration. That's the real spirit of the multi-source compos. :)

YES

There's a plucked, harpsichord-y synth that hits around 2:28 or so that bugs me a little bit because it sticks out of the mix kinda badly. The rest of the song, though, is so good that I don't think I could let that be a dealbreaker. Past that, I really dig the arrangement and the atmosphere, and honestly the interplay between vocals and guitars really doesn't bother me. If that plucked synth could be fixed before posting, that would really help, but other than that no issues here.

YES

• 2 weeks later...