email sub file (4 Keys)- Return to Dollet (Final Fantasy 8).mp3

Remixer name: 4 Keys

E-mail Address: KeysOf4@hotmail.com

userid # : 4166

Game remixed: Final Fantasy 8

Song Remixed: Attack on Dollet Theme

Info: 8th installment of the popular Final Fantasy series

Comments:

This might suck, I understand. But it's worth a try.

I felt through out all the Final Fantasy series soundtracks,

This piece was the only one that made the hair on the back of

my neck stand on end. Goose bumps and the whole shibang!

I first wanted to learn some of it on guitar, and then one thing led

to another, and I was devoting days to trying to make my own remake

of it. I just wanted to present it in a different genre, to reach out

more to the metal core punk listeners out there. After recording the guitar.

I added random pauses where there should have been feedback,

made the guitar sound un-natural, but also I felt it sounded more industrial.

All other instruments were done by Fruity Loops (Drum machine) and my midi keyboard (For the piano, pad, bass, and osc keys) I managed to layer a couple of the guitar riffs quite nicely after about a bajillion tries. I intended the song to sound like madness. I heard about OC remix through a couple friends after they heard my remix,

They urged me to at least try. I understand the critictism that is involved with this

type of establishment, I mean, you guys aren't idiots. If something sucks, it sucks.

So, judge away my tasteful friends!

Peace out and have a wonderful day!

-Myke D from 4 Keys

PS-

This is my first time submitting anything to anyone, are some other rules or information I should know that may not have been in the submitting instructions.

B-B-B-Boobass.

FL Slayer sounding crap as always, but rather well used for a change too. I always feel that using FL Slayer well is like caking the elephant man in make-up and saying he's ready for the senior ball. It's still ugly underneath no matter what you do.

Despite the absolutely horrendous basic samples, they're utilised probably as well as they could be. But it still has buckley's chance of being posted onto the site.

Here's my suggestion. Get some better samples, don't use the FL Defaults. Sometimes they can be used in junction (haha, get it? From Final Fan... nevermind) with other instruments to sound good. Boobass and FL Keys can show promise, but the rest of the default FL stuff is just arse unless you're an absolute God like Prophecy, who is capable of making a recording of someone ripping into a microphone into aural gold.

You could probably work on the arrangement a bit more too. I got the fast-paced sound of the mix, but it stopped short of 3 minutes without really going anywhere.

NO

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 901 "The Landing (Alternate)"

Thanks to TO for hooking me up with the right source track, since I'm pretty unfamiliar with the soundtrack. I don' pl4y dese geek gamez 'n stuffz.

Yeah, these samples are used decently, but they still sound pretty weak; you need to be really skilled at production to make those really work for you.

The track did seem to hit one speed and never really change up much, but there were a few changeups in the instrumentation to at least provide some dynamic contrast. Work on providing some more of that to keep things fresh.

The bass synth opening things up was really mechanically sequenced, as well as the guitar synth. Drum pattern were too basic and mechanically sequenced as well, and the piano coming in at :33 sounded extremely synthetic, thin, and rigidly performed with the notes having too similar velocities.

Besides the piano, there's actually some effort put into having the sounds work well together. Decent stuttering effects in use at 1:43. Nice idea for that pad-like sound brought into the background at 1:31 to subtlely help fill things out; just be sure to vary up that effect so it doesn't get stale later on.

Decent stuff for a beginner, but you've gotta learn how to use your software more powerfully. The sequencing is too rigid to make the performance on any of the instruments sound flowing and human, and learning more about production will help you flesh out the track better. Hang around the ReMixing forum more and check out the FL101 help thread. Keep at it.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Piano is dry. Why? :(

Yeah, FL defaults certainly aren't helping this piece. Slayer especially should only be used in emergencies, and only with parental supervision. Seriously though, Slayer doesn't work here, stay away from it.

Arrangement is pretty repetitive and it flies right by. Needs more dynamics and varying ideas than Slayer playing a syncopated pattern ad infinitum.

NO