*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Green Hills'

djpretzel

The intro was quite deceptive, once the piano started suddenly the mix jumped up a notch in terms of everything. It could have been better, but then I guess the whole point was to give it a little 'ooh' when the piano came in.

Production level is good, although I felt the drums were dry at times. No new melody, which would have been nice in this imo, but all the other parts are different enough from the source.

This has quite a chilled feel which I like, and I haven't heard this sort of take on the theme before which is a surprise. I think that the transition at 2.40 was quite poorly done, but other than that, I think this is a good submission.

YES

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=36 - "Green Hill Zone"

The beats here don't gel at all with the piano performance here. Switches over at :45 to some generic-sounding electronica stuff. 1:14's more of the same.

The attempt at arrangement is observable, as you change up the rhythms of the original, but I felt the arrangement still wasn't particularly interesting or interpretive in the big picture. Besides changing the rhythms, the structure is essentially intact only the genre is different.

The synth design is generic which holds this back. The beats are too basic and merely keep time, and the main synths here have no meat on them and don't fill out the space enough. You need some creative processing on these to create a denser and more unique overall sound.

Whether it's FL Studio or whatever, scout out the ReMixing forum to learn how to fashion more creative sounds and effects with the software you're using.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

yikes, the intro sounds like the original but more mushy. up to :45 it's really just rehash of the original. then the synths jump in, which are way too bare at first.

as far as I'm concerned everything's uphill from :45.

This is definitely close. i think the deciding factor is that the beginning is so rough, and that towards the end it gets repetitive. This track could be longer, or it could be shorter. either way the ending needs to be better thought-out.

please keep working, this is a good track

NO

Ease up on the reverb please. :\

I like the synths and piano, really groovy. Nice arrangement too, I just think you need to balance your instruments out a little more with EQ and levels. Also, the piano is only there for a little part of the song, why? The entire piece would benefit from a stronger, continued presence.

NO but please resub, this piece has a tons of potential to be more awesome.

Wow, this is pretty unexpected. I'm not sure if you guys realized this but The Cynic Project is actually pretty well-known in the world of trance. Very cool that he subbed something here as he's pretty successful elsewhere.

Anyway I like the overall arrangement and the production on most of the sounds. But I do agree that I think you could definitely add some heavier beats - maybe layer some breaks on top, or even bring in a four on the floor later on? Feels like you could have some nice fat pads, maybe gated, as the song progresses to thicken it up too. I'm definitely liking this and it would definitely be a well-received mix if you just tweak it a little more and resubmit. I hope you do, and please submit more things in the future!

NO