ReMix Info

Name of game ReMixed: Jaguar XJ220

Name of individual song ReMixed: Moody Breeze

Name of remix: Speedy Breeze

Additional information about game

Composer: Martin Iveson

System: Amiga

Copyright: 1992 Core Design

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/unexotica/games/Jaguar_XJ220.html

Comments

Well, this is my first video game remix ever and I can't hide I'm quite anxious to know your evaluation!

There is nothing particular to say about the inspiration on this remix, I just love the original Martin Iveson's tune and I wanted to make my own remix of Moody Breeze... I really hope you'll like it.

To remix the song I used my Yamaha CS2X synth, a Sound Blaster Audigy audio card, an audio editor and a sequencer program.

• 2 weeks later...

http://exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive/Authors/Game/Iveson_Martin/Jaguar_XJ220.lha - mod.moody breeze (requires DeliPlayer)

Cool source tune. Pretty thin of course, but the writing was really relaxed and chill. Dayum, dat's good. Great choice for a first mix in some respects. On one hand, good, in that you chose something interesting. On the other hand, bad, in that your skills are going to be pretty limited since you're just starting out.

Apropos "start your engines" voice sample and old video-game quality car noises for the intro. Things segued over to some very bread-and-butter claps and synths. Bassline was pretty nice. Man, the groove here is sweet as hell, but the texture is way too thin. Good effects though to at least fill out the track a little bit, including some strings pads at :36 and a modulating synth that almost worked like a pad at 1:09. Some straight out da box FL-style default-y synths at 1:28; the delay effect is cool, but still pretty basic. Man, beyond a key change at 1:44, all of the patterns under your lead practically never change up. The groove is nice, but the arrangement ideas aren't there. Car goes vroom at 2:32, then...back to the exact same chorus as :52. 3:06 changed up the backing percussion moving towards the finish. Where was that stuff earlier???

You've got the basics down, but structurally this is practically the source tune. Sounds like you ripped the original, then changed the sounds and added some minor stuff. Anyway, your sound textures are thin and the synths are all used in a beginner-ish way. You've gotta employ effects/processing techniques to create sounds that fill up the audio space, the soundfield. Right now, everything sounds fairly empty and sparse. On top of that, your patterns repeat too much. Personally, the groove doesn't get boring for me but, creatively speaking, this clearly lacks substance.

Shameless Jaguar XJ220 and gr00ve bias prevent me from NO Overriding anything here. Nonetheless, you really need to think of creative and unique ways to interpret the original material to have a chance at being posted. Be diligent about learning how to use your equipment and software, inquire within our Works forum about your material before you submit it in the future, and keep trying to improve.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the groove here as Larry said. It has a beat and you can dance to it. Unfortunately the samples are all so bleh. They're very well utilised, but the beats are repetative, the textures are unchanging and the soundscape is very limited. There isn't enough going on to compliment the style you've chosen. It works well as an almost ambient-groove mix. Sounds like something one would hear in UT99.

I'd recommend filling the mix out a bit better. Work on your beats, make them less repetative, build into some better percussion and don't rely so heavily on that crappy clap sample.

The actual arrangement, while limited, is put together fluently. After all, the mix is enjoyable to listen to, but it just doesn't quite take those leaps into making it sound better than just "enjoyable." Since my computer is all busted, I'm relying on Larry's judgement for this particular sourcetune.

Good for a first video game remix. Just work on those sounds and pad the mix out a bit more. It'd make a very nice mellow-groove mix with some critical attention.

NO

Gonna have to agree with Larry in that this is essentially an upgrade of the original tune. Groovy, yes, and I happen to like the texture, but its really similar to the original piece, not only in arrangement, but in texture.

Percussion could be spiced up too.

I like where this is going, but you need to bring more originality to the piece if you want to have it on OCR.

NO resub