Arrangement Name: "A Day Like No Other"

Songs Arranged: "Main Menu Theme"

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PlayStation Vita

Composer: Hideyuki Fukasawa

Release Year: 2011

Source 1:

Source 2:

ReMix link:

Comments: A little while after talking with DarkeSword on OCR Talkback about the Apex project and making my claim, I thought about how I wanted the remix to sound. I really wanted to give it this sort of "pump-up" feel. I wanted this to be someone's fight song.

I think I delivered. Enjoy.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The arrangement's strong, and the source usage was easily dominant here.

On the mixing side, I'm possibly grandpa'ing, but I thought the backing instrumentation should have been pulled back and the sound should have been a little cleaner. There's definitely frequencies mudding together during the main verses where all the power geetar, machine gun drumwork & cymbals behind the lead just bleed into each other.

It's mixed reasonably well otherwise, but if the overall volume's going to be an assault on the ears, then you can't have extended, super-cramped sections like :12-45 & 1:01-1:36. I don't think it's 100% a personal taste thing, but if other Js don't see/hear it the same way, it's no problem here.

Like I said, it's a sweet arrangement, and it doesn't afraid of anything. For me, I feel some mixing tweaks would retain the power while more appropriately balancing it. IMO, just pull the supporting instrumentation back a bit and de-clutter/re-EQ whatever frequencies may be overlapping.

NO (refine/resubmit)

Cool arrangement! "Assault on the ears" yes. The reason it sounds bleedy and cramped is that (primarily, I suspect) the master is compressed and also limited to within an inch of it's life. Just looking at the sausage waveform tells the story of how cramped everything is in this track, with everything sounding like it's at the exact same volume. -8db RMS is reeeeally loud. The mixing (eq, reverb, etc.) seems good, but the balance is off. I suspect it's mostly due to overly heavy-handed mastering, but it could be the individual balancing as well. Backing elements are way too loud. Needs one more pass at this. Really nice otherwise. Cleaner balance/master will get my yes.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

I agree with the above comments regarding volume. I simply can't listen to this comfortably on my normal music listening volume. While everything is audible, it could be a little more clear as well. Simply pulling the levels back may even just fix that.

Cool arrangment and great performances. Should be good to go with another production pass.

NO resubmit, please