*NO* Wild Arms 'Flight of the Eagle' *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

Original decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44788

Hey guys, I've tweaked my Wild ARMs mix. Unfortunatly, this was created with my old equipment (technically even not *my* equipment), so updating samples was no option for this one (unless I redid the whole thing on my new KRONOS). I've changed the volume of the fulte and layered a very soft (normal) flute on top of the pan flute to make it a tiny bit more realistic.

I agree with djp about the triple forte, but since this is an old mix (3~4 yrs old) I guess it just shows that I've grown in arranging since then ;) Since this was unanimously YES'd the last time around, I think this should be no problem to hold it back. And the eagle stays, sorry Dave :P

- Pieter

P.S. I think you guys should mail if you take something out of the submission queue; I've only recently found out about this veto when I checked if there were some BadAss 3 mixes being judged.

---------------------------------------

Original submission info:

ReMixer name: pu_freak

Name of game(s) arranged: Wild ARMs

Name of arrangement: Flight of the Eagle

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Bird which Flies in the Sky (Emma's Theme)

Link to individual song(s) arranged: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdAv75LhFvg

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

This is my mix for the Wild ARMs album: ARMed and DANGerous. Jade asked me to do a remix for her album, but I never played the game and thus wasn't familiar with the soundtrack. I liked this source, since I could easily imagine how I could make a calm version of the so energetic (but short) source tune. One of the requirements for Jade's album was that it had to have a western vibe. To make it feel like a song that could be part of a western movie, I used a flute in addition to the piano (and the eagle at the end should also contribute to that vibe). The title of the source has inspired me a lot, because I wanted it to be like you could close your eyes while listening to this song and feel like you're an actual bird soaring through the sky. The soft flute and choir in the middle of the song would be the wind you can hear as it gently passes.

Edited by Emunator

Sorry about not sending an email after the veto, Pieter; it's so rare, I didn't think to do that, so that's my fault.

Right from the start, the piano timing being rigid still undermined this, the opening strings sounded pretty unrealistic, and the pipes first used at :11 still sounded very stiffly timed.

The mixing was still odd here, and the pan flute brought in at 1:09 sounded even more like it was played at full volume and then just turned down, which made no sense.

The way the volume drastically dropped at 1:09-1:29 & 1:43-2:12 from the louder piano sections before them also made no sense. The track sounded needlessly hollow during the quieter sections.

It's a shame, because the arrangement itself was solid, but the piece passing before was the panel being too lenient on a number of smaller production issues that added up. The issues from before are all still here, and the balance issues are arguably even worse, so I don't think any tinkering around the edges can make this passable; you'd have to start from scratch. If the sample articulations can't be modified, it's a non-starter as far as getting this to pass.

NO

I didn't hear the original version, but this is a very lovely arrangement. The stiff sequencing doesn't bother me as much as it does Larry, but the dynamics of the piece bother me a lot. Why does it get SO loud at some spots? And the instruments aren't balanced well at all, the pan flute is so quiet when it plays.

Do you by chance have the ability to render the parts of this song into separate wav stems? Someone might be able to help you mix/master this much better if so.

NO

Hmmm... I don't really find this to be an improvement over the original submission - in fact, the flute sounds even MORE isolated and sticks out like a sore thumb moreso in this revision. Now that the flute is balanced a bit louder, it actually draws attention to the unrealistic sequencing/sample quality.

Not sure what to say, this just isn't clicking for me and I'm not sure what can be done with it. Very pretty interpretation of the source that I really liked when I heard it on the album, but from a critical standpoint I don't think you'll be able to get this where it needs to be without some more in-depth work :-(

NO