Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: Berelac

email address:

Facebook.com/karlisberelac

userid:

Name of game(s) arranged: Kirby Super Star

Name of arrangement: Afternoon Cheesecake

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Green Greens/Kirby Dance

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: I really wanted to experiment with an orchestral sound as opposed to my normal EDM style, so I decided to take one of my favorite games of all time and do an orchestral rendition of a song from it. I've always loved the happy and beautiful sounds of harps and flutes, so they were my main focus on the song. I think this rendition really captures the happy, yet marching nature of the kirby series and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a very interesting way to remix this happy little tune! I think some tightening up of this mix is needed though. The intro harp and flute are stiff and quantized, but it seems ok. At 1:00 though, you just have the flute playing by itself, it is much too exposed there playing all alone, and with no breathing breaks, it really sounds too fake. I suggest filling this section with some kind of gentle padding, like with strings maybe. Then at 1:15, there's a much louder section that starts with no transition into it, so it is too abrupt. I find your tambourine too loud.

There are a few notes that don't work in the section from 1:27 to 1:32, I think the bass notes are off there. There are some more bass notes that aren't working from 2:04 to 2:10. At 2:11, that lead instrument is WAY too loud, turn it down for sure.

So to summarize, cute idea, needs a bit of tightening up, would be nice for some of the instruments to sound just a bit less stiff, but the few changes I mentioned above would do it for me.

NO (resubmit)

I thought your choice of going with a light-hearted cutesy mood was a bit too of a predictable direction for this track, but I'm not against it. I'm with Kristina that your instruments are too much to grid to make them feel organic. I would like to see flute, harp and string portions humanised so there is variation in note timing and velocity to make them feel more believable.

Your production seems ok for the most part. I don't have any major production concerns except you may need to check your levels a little bit.

The track felt like it was building up to something before it ended, like it should've gone a little longer. More importantly, I felt the arrangement didn't really change up the original an awful lot to the point where I don't think I could pass this on that fact alone. There were some changes to the original for sure, but again as Kristina pointed out, some of the notes felt out of place. Overall this felt more like an upgrade over the original than a remix.

NO

The woodwind from :59-1:14 on its own just exposes the timing not sounding like a human being played it, so I wouldn't have had it exposed the sample like that. Have to agree with the other Js that all of the sequencing sounds pretty mechanical/quantized, with the woodwind and higher bowed strings being the most exposed. On a small detail, good integration of the bird sound FX.

As far as the arrangement, the source tune's adapted to this instrument set and the attempt is clearly made to personalize this approach with a gradual escalation of the intensity. However, I also agreed with Jivemaster that for a mere 2-minute arrangement, there needs to be less melodic repetition and more variation & development of the source tune. Again, this is well in the right direction, it just could use more melodic variation.

The production/sequencing is the biggest problem, with the lack of melodic variation also being something that has to be addressed. But if you're willing to revisit both and can make this sound more realistically sequenced and melodically varied, this would be a short-and-sweet addition to the site. Even if you've moved on from this one, you're certainly showing promise, Karl.

NO