*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'Blinded in Sideral Light' *RESUB*

Palpable

Original decision

RESUB: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34158 (previously “Chase Into the Space”)

Remixer name : Bluelighter feat. Ilp0, Chris ~ Amaterasu

Mail:

ID forum: 30998, 9466, 35078

Game & Songs: ff8 - Movin’, ff7 - World Crisis (in the end), and a little from ff9 - Battle Theme #2 (at 2'48)

Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU

Interpreters: Ilp0 (guitars), Chris ~ Amaterasu (violin, viola)

Link:

o

- Movin'

o

- World Crisis

o

- Battle 2

Hi OCR!

I reworked this mix with new samples and now another musician player :) Indeed, violin and viola have an important place in this mix, playing the main melody in some major parts.

I’m really glad to have worked with Chris and Ilari! Their combined work put into my mix a lot of emotion without which I couldn’t get. So thanks for them!

In the end, this new title evokes all lights we can find in the space when we know where travel, with a good spaceship :D

Hoping you’ll enjoy this version!

--------------------------------------------------

- Movin'

- World Crisis

- Battle 2 Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I think the live strings do add some more presence to the mix, and they are a nice addition, but I think they aren't quite mixed right into the track. A lot of times they are feeling too pasted on top and are distracting to me. Similarly, I'm feeling like other parts have been moved to being slightly out of time, and need to be re-adjusted. There's also some static going on from one of the recordings, which is very noticeable on the last note especially.

I think your arrangement is overall pretty solid. It's a bit close to the source at times, but I think it's well above the bar. Sorry to throw this back at you again, but the balance and timing definitely need to be adjusted before this passes, but it's really close IMO.

NO (resubmit)

• 5 weeks later...

I have no idea if the arrangement uses the source tunes enough, because I didn't recognize much of the FF8 piece beyond some of the opening, I couldn't make out the FF9 source at 2:48, because everything was mixed poorly, and the FF7 source is 8 minutes and he didn't say what part of it was used, so I'm not commenting on that level. Jesus, help a brother out and break down where you used each source tune within the arrangement. :lol:

Opens up with some pretty stiffly-timed woodwind and string work until :13. Once the eletric guitar came in at :17, I'll just be honest, I wasn't looking forward to what was coming aftwerward. I say that because the combination of sequenced and live instruments clearly didn't combine well together, so I'm not confident it's going to work for the rest of the track. At :27, both the brass and string articulations again sound really stiff & unrealistic. The strings also sounded dry. Then you add in the woodwind at :49, and the other brass at 1:00, and it's just more of the same in terms of the timing sounding robotic. Meanwhile, the live electric guitar and string work just added clutter to the soundscape.

I agreed with DragonAvenger on the balance/mixing issues. There was a lot of clutter throughout the piece, and nothing sounds focused at all. 4:04-4:46 sounds like a mess, when it should be an energetic closing section. That said, I think the timing issues of the sequenced parts also hurt this a lot. The piece is in that difficult middle ground where the sample quality sounds reasonable, but the timing sounds so fake.

Anyway, besides the question of the arrangement, this track is clearly a very far way away from being passable on the production quality alone. The mixing is the primary problem, since there are too many parts that are either dry or muddy & extremely indistinct. As a result, the piece sounds like it has 0 focus. It shouldn't be resubmitted again without a drastic overhaul of the production.

NO

I appreciate the effort you put into going out of your box on this track, it's clear you put a lot of effort into crafting your arrangement, but I have to agree that the mixing is causing some major problems. The live instruments sound needlessly muffled and do not fit nicely with the soundscape at all, I'm not sure what you did to them in processing but Chris is barely audible and ilp0's rhythm guitars are too up-front and the leads are too buried. The sequenced orchestral elements are a mixed bag as well - the lead oboe sounds extremely fake and rigid, and various parts sound too dry, as Larry commented on.

I'm having a hard time nailing down the issues with this mix because truthfully, the mixing just doesn't work :-\ It makes this piece very hard to listen to and enjoy what you've created here, and I think that would need a complete overhaul in order to pass. There's a lot of great writing and dynamics to the actual orchestration but I can't sign off on this in its current form.

NO