*NO* Mega Man 2 'Ignite the Doctor'

Liontamer

I'm back,

I'm not sure if you remember me but this is my third attempt at getting this right, I've sent in 2 previous remixes and both were rejected, I'm not going to disclose which ones they were, because looking back, I can see why they were (they had nothing to do with this one). Here's my attempt at a metal version of the classic theme from Wily's levels in Mega Man 2, along with a couple other tunes thrown in to the mix. It's very 80's/prog/thrash and I hope you enjoy it as much as i did making it.

http://www.vradio.com/cfm-enduser/artistprofile.cfm?id=800

Scroll down until you see a section labelled "The Music". Download the song called "Ignite The Doctor" and enjoy!

Brent (Skitz) Nickerson

This is really hard to judge.

First, percussion is awesome throughout the entire piece, but moreso near the end. Okay good that's out of the way.

My main issue is with most of the first part of the song. It follows the original theme pretty closely; not just the melody, but the accompniment as well.

But then 1:06 hits and we get some cool variation over the chord progression of the original, then go into an extended solo section with some jawesome guitar playing.

3:04's percussion rocks out, and the trade with the guitar is really effective.

What I really like about this piece is that the percussion really integrates well with what the guitars are doing; 3:51 in particular illustrates the excellent writing.

I think that while this piece is fairly straight-forward and conservative, it's got enough interpretation in the middle section to push it over.

i liek it

YES

The mixing seems very weird here. It's like the accompaniment is in front and the melody is in back. The percussion tends to be a little on the overpowering side (what's up with the ridiculous bass drum lines at the beginning?) I think going back and redoing all the levels would be a good idea since right now the mix seems muddy and sloppy at times. In terms of arrangement, I'm in agreement with Vig that there are enough nifty ideas to make it passable. However, the execution of it is weak. Go back and work on the production aspect more and take another look at the production sequencing. Also, some of the transitions from section to section could be better, such as 2:39 to 2:40. What's up with that?

Polish this and resubmit.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman2.zip - Track 19 (Dr. Wily Stage 1)

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkc - "Gang-Plank Galleon" (dkc-21.spc)

Didn't like the percussion during the intro. Flimsy sounds, plus the guitar timing didn't match up well with it. The drums during the melody are decent though a bit annoying with the rapid fire nature of 'em. But the cymbals from :07-:16 for example sounded out of place; that's a nitpick, but over the long-haul it became more of an issue. I think you could make the percussion sound less rigid and pasted underneath the guitars. The patterns varied up nicely though.

Cool interpretive section at 1:29-2:04, then following into the meedley-meeeee wank at 2:04 and soloing over the foundation of the original.

Not sure why the DKC section from 2:40-3:27 was there at all; didn't lock together at all with the previous material, with poor transitions and no logical piecing together back to the Wily theme.

Agreed with the others NOs, the execution is weak and a killer. zircon's right about the various levels being off. Put the guitars in the front. Work on the production, tighten up the performance and think of how to work the "Gang-Plank Galleon" section seamlessly into the rest of the arrangement and you'd have a much better chance. Decent so far, at least.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

First thing that hit me was that the timing of the guitars in the intro was way off.

The texture really doesn't seem as full as it could be. The rhythm guitar in particular is really low in the mix and hollowed out, although the solo guitar sounds good. I think more attention needs to be payed to instrument levels. The drums, while sounding unplayable by a human, work well with the other elements. Needs a lot more work.

NO