OCR03187 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Flow of Time'

DragonAvenger

No problem of source usage here, almost everything is related to the source!

Overall I think this is fairly nicely produced, the sounds are realistic, though I think overall there's a bit too much reverb going on at times. 

My issue comes down to the arrangement. I'm tempted to call this a medley of sorts, but it feels more like an rondo, with the main theme interspersed with quotes from other themes from the game. There really isn't any development of any of the sources used, which ultimately is bringing this below the bar for me. I'd love to hear you work some personalization into your work, and add more development/arrangement. I think in regards to this mix that would be starting pretty much from scratch, which would be quite a bit of work.

The mix is really nice to listen to overall, and I enjoyed hearing it! Ultimately it's not something really for OCR, though.

NO (changed below)

• 2 weeks later...

Are rondos out of the question?  I'd appreciate a list of the themes used, but I hear quite a lot of the main theme and I assume from what Deia said that the rest of the arrangement consists of source tunes.  I actually like this arrangement and I find it cohesive as a whole.  I totally see what Deia is saying about it being medley-ish or like a rondo, but it seems ok to me.  I like the production, with the exception that the snare is panned too far to the left and the brass too far to the right.  The samples are used quite well, strings and piano sound particularly good to me.   The source writing is very conservative but I like how the themes interweave, I love the instrument choices, and the track has good flow and dynamics.  Unless it can be pointed out to me why this arrangement is not ok for OCR, I have to go with

YES

For anyone lazy, the sources:

"Chrono Trigger" - main source

"Guardia Castle - Pride & Glory" ("Courage and Pride") - :56

"At the End of Time" ("Brink of Time") - 1:11

"Frog's Theme" - 1:19

"Magus Confronted" ("Battle with Magus") - 1:26

"Schala's Theme" - 1:34

"Secret of the Forest" - 2:11

Though there weren't any big structural changes to the melodies of anything here, I felt there was plenty of personalization in this arrangement in the different instrumentation, occasional tempo changes, new supporting writing, and creative integration or pairing of other theme cameos. Instead of an A+B+C+D format, there were some references to other themes, but done in a way to combine most of them with the Chrono Trigger theme's backing pattern (e.g. 1:27-1:56), not just stopping and starting different themes with no flow. I had no problem with that arrangement structure.

On the production side, the drums were (arguably) too punchy in places (e.g. 2:28-2:54), and there's something lacking to fully fill out the track, like it's missing some sort of padding or something to fill the gap. Other than that, I felt this was a solid orchestration with more than enough interpretive techniques. Let's go.

YES

A solid well produced multi-source track that flows together well. I can see where Deia was coming from here regarding it sounding much like a straight up medley... I personally would've liked to hear some more variation in the source interpretation of the themes presented. From what is here though, there were some nice change ups and the changes in tempo and instruments for different sections worked great. I personally thought this could've done with a little less mids and little more low end, but it's nothing major to bump the track for. Overall happy with this one.

YES