A VGM arranging idea

Necrox

I'm putting this in community because it's just a theoretical idea that's probably too liberal to be a legitimate competition here. What if there was a competition where instead of the previous round's winner or the compo host just picking a song, they also include a video of the scene/dungeon/wherever from the game that the song is used in? The idea would be not to remix the song, but to write a new song that would connect to the scene and use a small portion of the original tune in it.

I like that idea. I would just consider those story remixes even though how vague that title may sound like, that's how I always perceived that kind of idea. The only problem I could see with that (like all other compo's)  would be the participation.

Other than that. That's exactly what I do whenever i feel like putting in a story in my remix. Look at the videos where the song is being played and see where i can take it from there. In fact the remix that I did from the PRC 294 is exactly what u just described.

I'm not trying to shamelessly promote myself or anything, its just that I have a really good example for such a topic that I'll just put under spoilers just in case if ppl didn't want to see it.

The Remix I did for the PRC 294 was from one of the Lemmings game on one of those old Ddos computers ( i'm probably wrong about that fact though) And when I heard the song it piqued my interest and I wanted to see where the song plays on that game. I later came across this video and I immediately wanted to do a story version for this remix.

Then my remix was done and all the other info about how the story goes is in my description at the thasause website.

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC294

The Musical Replacement Initiative was the most recent attempt at a compo of this style but instead of composing to a picture/video you composed an original with the feel of the original tune. 

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/35231-musical-replacement-initiative-season-one-round-three-sorry-i-forgot-lol/

Hasn't seen action in about two years however.