*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Shrouded Reactor'

DragonAvenger

• Re mixer Name: Wiesty
  • Email Address: 
  • User ID: 11643
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VII
  • Name of arrangement: Shrouded Reactor
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Mako Reactor
Hello! This is a simple piano arrangement of Mako Reactor from FF7 I arranged. This was originally to be part of the FF7 Web series project until it came to halt. The concept was to arrange the reactor theme in a way that reflected the mystery/eeriness of the Mt. Nibel Mako Reactor. I think this piece captures the unpleasant feeling of walking through Mt. Nibel and discovering the Mako reactor quite well.  I hope you enjoy! 

*Note* I was unable to find the original files for this remix. This has a bitrate of 160kbps. 

------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I like the slow, deliberate tempo. Really sets the mood you are going for. There's a sense of dread in the arrangement, and I again like the changes in tempo and rhythms you used to alter the melody. I think this is ultimately going to come down to the sounds here, which I think aren't full enough for a solo piano arrangement. I'm hoping another judge will have some good feedback on how to improve the sounds here, though I'm not sure if you'll be able to fix it if the original files are lost :(

NO (resubmit?)

• 2 weeks later...
As far as the levels go, they're low, and this could use a remaster, but I wasn't really put off by that.

Overall, I like the arrangement, and I agreed with DA on the sense of dread there.

I have no idea if this was played in live, but the whole track sounded stilted. And as the track became more forceful from :32-:48, 2:19-2:33 & 2:56-3:33, the realism limitations of the piano soundfont were very exposed, and things sounded even more blocky and mechanical.

IMO, it's very important that good solo piano arrangements are also firing on nearly all cylinders when it comes to the production. This should have been even more humanized and emotive through more careful production, particularly of the track's more forceful sections.

Given that the source files are gone, Dylan, if it's possible to manipulate that MP3 and re-mix it to obscure the stiff timing, go for it. Otherwise, it's a cool piece, but just needed that additional level of polish to smooth out the timing.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, the mastering is definitely low.  If it takes me about 30 seconds on my normal listening level to hear much of anything, things need to be evened out a bit.

IMO, it's very important that good solo piano arrangements are also firing on nearly all cylinders when it comes to the production. This should have been even more humanized and emotive through more careful production, particularly of the track's more forceful sections.

This x2.   Normally, when piano is used in the context of a larger track, velocity variation is enough to get by with.  However, when it's a solo, exposed piece, and also using non-live samples, extra care on note timings and velocities, tempo/rubato, etc. really become critical IMO.  (commas much? :tomatoface:)

Like Larry mentioned, sections when it gets louder like 2:19 start to expose some rigid timings. On the other hand, I really liked how you handled 2:45 with the chord changes and driving, brooding energy.  That's definitely my favorite part of the piece.

I don't think this one is far off.  With that in mind, hopefully Dylan can give us another go with this one.

NO resubmit, please