OCR03190 - *YES* Metroid 'Back to Zebes'

Chimpazilla

That has to be the most concise submission email I've ever seen!  Haha!

This arrangement is quite conservative.  The guitar work is good, the initial synth lead is appropriate.  The piano that begins at 2:12 sounds mechanical but I like the added bell timbre, and when the guitar joins it, I don't find the piano stiffness too distracting.  The guitar performances are all good.  The transition at 2:58 works well enough to reintroduce the heavier section following the breakdown.

Mixing is working well, I'm finding everything to be audible.

The cinematic drumming is quite good.  I'm finding the rest of the drumming somewhat weak by contrast... the snare seems loud enough but kick and crashes are too soft.

Simple and direct, this is pretty cover-ish, but I'm liking it.  My crits aren't enough to hold it back.

YES 

If this receives some NOs for not being more melodically interpretive, I could see why, but I wasn't bothered by it.  Arrangement-wise, I've always said, you don't need to reinvent the wheel with an arrangement, you just need to come through with an interpretive arrangement that puts your own creative, personalized spin on things. 

Good job including the bells at 2:12 to mitigate the realism issue with the piano. The piece doesn't repeat, and the instrumentation kept changing, which was an important form of arrangement for such a melodically conservative piece. The arrangement could have benefited from some more energy or dynamic contrast, but that's potentially more of a personal taste thing that's ultimately not a strong criticism or a dealbreaker. What's in place is a solid, straightforward rock interpretation that effectively adds more body and depth to the source tune.

YES

Very dramatic! Drums remind me of Led Zep at times with the super-heavy snare & kick sound... nice loud-soft contrast going on, although the piano on the soft bits did sound pretty little thin. Ultimately, the arrangement does a good job executing the concept of a super-heavy approach to the source, with some respite involved to aid in transition and give listeners a break. Cool concept, well-executed, and while the softer bits aren't as strong as the louder bits, the overall piece I think has very much the intended effect.

YES

That's quite the subtle intro with the booms fading in... until everything else suddenly kicks in, of course.

Mixing sounds pretty on point, especially with the rhythm guitars.  I would've liked the leads to have more high end to cut through better, though.

Very interesting changeup to a softer approach after 2:10 after a pretty heavy intro.  Ballsy, but it works.

Arrangement-wise, while this does keep it melodically similar to the original, there's enough personalization in the structure and writing to get my nod.  Good stuff.

YES